One last outing

Yesterday, myself and my hunting parnter and his son went a field for what was probably the last pheasant hunt of the fall. 40 degrees and windy, with conditions like that our expectations were not very high. However, we had access to some very good habitat. When we parked the truck well over 100 birds got up and flew into some of the cover. The first push produced 3 roosters and an hour later we had 3 more. This was way beyond our expectations. My hunting partner's son had missed a few birds but finally got some nice flushes and finished with 3 birds with 3 shells. So after about 5 hours of hunting we had 9 roosters in the truck and the wind had died (almost unheard of).

It doesn't get much better than that to finish the season. Good friends, good dogs, good bird numbers and good shooting, in a sweatshirt in late Dec. :cheers:

Lots of birds in some places, if the winter continues like this, could set up for a good year next year.

Happy New Year.:cheers:

BC,

Great to hear great success stories, especially when kids our part of the equation. Don't go gettin cabin fever now. Button down the hatches and stay warm through the rest of the winter. I will be up next year for grouse season for sure.:thumbsup:

Sounds fun. Good job!

Wind died in Montana? That is strange!

Not to worry it was blowing 50 mph yesterday and 35 at sunrise this morning. Glad we went hunting on Monday! Temperatures also in the 50s, easy livin for the birds!

Great way to end 011. Glad to hear bird numbers.
This Winter is indeed for the birds.:cheers:
Deer and antelope to.

Hoping for the winter and spring to be mild. I will be in N.E.Montanna next year in Sept and Oct,then on to Idaho. My partner just bought a house in Mt. Home. Cant wait!!!! Scotty Hope I run into some of you guys.

cant speak for the eastern side of montana , but southwest we have enjoyed a chinook wind for a couple of days. Snow virtually gone in Bozeman, and 2 days above 50. Brisk winds come with this ! Wish i was in eastern or northern Montana chasing birds!

Just getting back from the last hunt in ND for this year. I've been there in late Dec. when it was either -4 or +4, but Wed. was 54 degrees! Thursday was around 46. With the wind blowing constantly, the birds were extra jumpy, but myself and the landowner got limits every day.

I learned that extended chokes might be as good as advertised. The factory I/C choke in the Maxus was replaced with a Briley MIDAS lite mod. It really made a marked difference. All birds were DRT without any runners/broken wings/cripples etc. AND, some lost a bunch of feathers when hit, which doesn't happen very often with wild/late season birds.

Back