once again beretta shows why they are the best: a400

outlawskinnyd

last week i was dead set on getting a semi auto. i ended up getting an o/u...anyway i went to the range and over a 3 day period i shot over 350 rounds out of a rented sx3, maxus, sbe2/m2 (the vinci forearm area is horrendous), a 391 and a a400.

im not gonna comment on what my thoughts were about each gun. personally im all about beretta and find benelli to be useless. besides beretta owns benelli, if benelli's intertia was so great it would be on beretta.

anyhow im telling you, go rent the a400. you wont be dissapointed.

I've looked at the a400. Aren't they an upgraded 391? They are very nice though, just out of my price range.

benelli isnt bad i was just trying to stir the shit :):eek::thumbsup::D

for pheasant hunting or other upland hunting id take a beretta hands down, the a400. i shot that gun, broke it down, and cleaned it. its different than a 391. its way more efficient.

waterfowl i guess i can see the benelli argument

A400

As an A400 owner I can tell you that it is all it is cracked up to be. It is great on the clays course and easy to carry all day in the field. It handles the 3.5" goose loads well and can go right to the 2.75" target loads without a problem.

Shot my best round of clays with it one weekend and had it in the duck blind taking greenheads, teal, and shovelers. Two weeks after that I carried it for 4 solid days in SW MN pheasant hunting. I never had a problem the whole time.

I really like this gun.

Shooter: Those options do seem a little odd to me.

I have the A400 with the KO. It really wasn't necessary but I figured that I was spending that amount of money, I might as well go with the top of the line. I really like it. I let my brother in law shoot a couple 3.5" loads with it and it kicks way less than his Franchi with 2.75" target loads.

I've looked at the a400. Aren't they an upgraded 391? They are very nice though, just out of my price range.

We'll I guess you could call it an upgrade so to speak. Completely different design. Whether or not it is better remains to be seen. I haven't had the chance to see the A400 enough to give you my opinion, but the only real knock on the A391 Urika is that it is more complex to break down then it's predecessor the A390 and it's predecessor before it, the A303. If the A400 is as easy to field strip and clean as the Beretta Xtrema than I think they may have a winner.

Maybe Jfan could answer that last question better??

The one thing about the A400 that I don't quite understand is that it is 3½" capable in a gun that weighs 7 lbs or under. I think if you absolutely need the big shells you might be better off with the Xtrema2, so I'm not sure on their reasoning. There is also a new Sporting version of the A400 out this year and it comes with some rather unique features of which a couple are a blue anodized receiver and a rounds fired counter built into the gun. :confused:

Last edited:
Shooter: Those options do seem a little odd to me.

I have the A400 with the KO. It really wasn't necessary but I figured that I was spending that amount of money, I might as well go with the top of the line. I really like it. I let my brother in law shoot a couple 3.5" loads with it and it kicks way less than his Franchi with 2.75" target loads.

Can you give a comparison on how easy or hard the A400 is to field strip as apposed to the A391 Urika?

Can you give a comparison on how easy or hard the A400 is to field strip as apposed to the A391 Urika?

I never owned a 391. However, I feel that the A400 is pretty easy to strip and clean. It does get a little dirty, but I have never had a problem with a ftf.

It probably takes a good half hour to clean it really well but I could break it down in just a couple of minutes.

I never owned a 391. However, I feel that the A400 is pretty easy to strip and clean. It does get a little dirty, but I have never had a problem with a ftf.

It probably takes a good half hour to clean it really well but I could break it down in just a couple of minutes.

I've had various Beretta Autoloaders for the past 25 years of which are A302, A390, Xtrema and currently also own a A391 Urika2. By far the 302,390 and Xtrema are easier to totally break down and clean. IMO they over engineered the 391 Urika a bit. But the other thing about the 391 especially is that you don't need to clean them as often. The gas system is self cleaning if you will and even though it may look dirty it cleans itself (hard to explain) to the point that it can go thousands of rounds before you need to do a complete clean. Much will depend on how dirty or clean burning the ammo you are using.

I'm assuming the same to be true with the new A400 as these guns are going to be used by the competition crowd and will go long stretches before cleaning.

i found a bunch of youtube videos, but they are all in italian :mad:

heres a link to the videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5jaEl8dfB4

the way it was described to me was the 391 and the m2 had sex and their kid was an a400. its got all the best features from both the benelli and the beretta. its got a rotating bolt too.

i love this gun. absolutely love it. i want one.

edit: the only downside to the a400, and its not even a downside, but there isnt a tube extension for the a400, only the 391. so all you geese hunters will have to wait

Last edited:
edit: the only downside to the a400, and its not even a downside, but there isnt a tube extension for the a400, only the 391. so all you geese hunters will have to wait.

Wait a minute, are you referring to a magazine extension? Which 391 were you referring to? The 391 Urika will NOT except a magazine extension. The Xtrema is the only beretta that will except a magazine extension to allow more than 5 rounds. I know this because i have one.

Wait a minute, are you referring to a magazine extension? Which 391 were you referring to? The 391 Urika will NOT except a magazine extension. The Xtrema is the only beretta that will except a magazine extension to allow more than 5 rounds. I know this because i have one.

the 391 xtrema i mean. sorry should have been more specific.

Well....

I can't say anything about the A400, I have 2 391 Urika 2's , one sporting clays version and one black synthetic field version, and I like them both a lot.

I have owned and tried to like some other semi-autos but that didn't happen

I am strategizing on how to get a Extrema 2 next:thumbsup:

I would also not mind having a 391 urika 2 sporting clays in 20 gauge...

edit: the only downside to the a400, and its not even a downside, but there isnt a tube extension for the a400, only the 391. so all you geese hunters will have to wait

Actually the main downside to Beretta's new A400 is the cost. Some versions are topping $1500+. I fear they may be pricing the average hunter right out of the market, especially in these economic times. And are we truly getting that much better of a product for the steeper price???

I for one am not so sure.....:rolleyes:

Actually the main downside to Beretta's new A400 is the cost. Some versions are topping $1500+. I fear they may be pricing the average hunter right out of the market, especially in these economic times. And are we truly getting that much better of a product for the steeper price???

I for one am not so sure.....:rolleyes:
Check out the Weatherby 08 Its a knock off. Ive used the heck out of it and mines light 6.2 lb You can spend what you save on $5.00 doller gas:)

Back