OK to Trespass?

Bird Buster

Just got back from SW Neb and was blown away by the numbers of hunters I saw out last weekend. It was far worse than opening day was and I observed several parties hunting land they did not have permission to hunt on. Folks, since it is the last weekend of the season and the landowners possibly might not care does it make it ok to hunt wherever you feel like it? I saw several vehicles with CO plates doing this which was disturbing to me as some of the signs had been tore down since the opener yet people seemed it was a free for all to hunt wherever. It does not help the image of out of town hunters period doing this :(

Being a NE native, I have seen this happen for years. I remember at age 13 on opening day showing up to a relatives property to have several CO vehicles hunting it! Unfortunately it is often "Greenies" trespassing since they are the majority of the hunters in SW NE. Land in NE does not have to be posted. You still need permission from the landowner. I often have landowners thank me for asking. I figure it is the least I can do.
I would call the Local Conservation Officer if I saw it happening.
And we wonder why some landowners won't let us on! A few ruin it for the rest. :mad:

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity how did you know they didn't have permission? Did you ever say anything to them?

Have hunted this area for 18 years/know the landowners and the ones that do and don't care for hunting. These places were the don't care for hunting ones. They have cows they don't want to have to wrangle up because someone shot too close to them and spooked them. I don't feel I should need to play police and confront people that have guns off property I don't own either. It should not have to be that way to begin with. Next year most likely will be contacting the sheriff. Usually the conservation officer is too far away to get there in time unfortunately.

Just out of curiosity how did you know they didn't have permission? Did you ever say anything to them?

I agree with this?
And if it's CO plates, Why the assumption they are out of towners? If they were tresspassing for sure turn their a$$'S in! Don't let any one get away with that crap, or pretty soon people like you that ask will be told no too. Man stuf like that makes me mad.:mad: Get em when ya can. Write down plate, vehicle, info, and perp discription if you can and call the warden right away. Stick around down the road till he gets there and let him know they are doing it as you speak. Tell him how to get where your at and bust em. I would not confront any one untill the athority shows up and let him handle it.

Must have been typing at the same time.:D I see. Talk to that land owner and fill him in and ask if he would like you to turn them in next time. It may earn you points and gain you access else where for doing the right thing too.

My own gut feeling is people that had hunted eastern CO were tired of the pressure and crowds so they decided to venture across the border to look into new things. I have never seen any of these vehicles ever there before in the past. One group went as far as to drive out in the middle of a stubble corn field and park at the top as to not be seen. I personally know this landowner and am the only one with permission to hunt it. Looks like the new 2 day non resident license thing may be bringing some new people looking for hunting places. You sure aren't going to have much luck in the walk in areas the last weekend of the season obviously.

I don't know where anybody gets the idea that poaching is legal whether it's day one or the last day. I have hunted Nebraska for 40 years, from one end to the other. I'd tell you it has always been the best upland state anywhere, with a history of hunting from Buffalo Bill to Gary Cooper and Wallace Beery, hunting ducks and pheasants near Llewellin, and haunting the local water holes. Found it's landowners to be friendly and receptive. Sure don't deserve this kind of treatment. I don't care if these dimwits are from Colorado or Timbuktu, we need to police our own. I hate confrontation as much as the next guy, and thats sure not why I go hunting, but we have to make it our business.

I have hunted the SW part of NE now for the last 13 years with great success. However, this year was down due to nesting success, in my opinion. I have seen the hunting pressure explode over the last 3 years, and yes, mostly "greenies". It is disappointing but there is nothing I can do about it. I am hoping after this less than stellar season in that area that the pressure will decline this fall, it may be wishful thinking. I totally agree with the trespassing and everybody needs to look at the big picture and abide by the law for our own future!

I was in SW NE the last week of December and didn't see any obvious trespassing. Lots of CO plates however, but I'm from out of state myself. I'm thinking that with the KS bird numbers down this year it pushed a lot of hunters into NE. Let's hope there's a good hatch in KS next this spring and it may help spread the pressure out.

If you see a silver F-150 with Arkansas plates next fall in SW NE, it's probably me, stop by and say hello!

man i tell you i dont see how people do it? If i was out there way deep in someones land i would be scared to death constantly looking over my shoulder now you tell me how thats enjoyable? now im not saying i havnt cut a corner on the other side of the fence but i know dang sure im not going to be way deep on someone elses land where i could get caught just not worth it

Wrong is wrong, trespassing is trespassing. Unfortunately, it can also serve to paint all hunters as a group a very distasteful color with the same broad brush. "Book 'em, Danno."

I was in the area the last weekend and can attest the hunting pressure was intense. I had a hard time finding a place to take the dogs for exercise, let alone finding some public ground that I might have an opportunity to find a bird.
I was on the road by a 1/4 section of CRP getting ready to walk in when a large group came up. One guy had 68 county NE plates and the rest were CO. I believe six trucks in all. They asked me if I wanted to join them and seemed upset when I said no. I got the feeling the NE guy was guiding but I might be all wet.

I was polite and told them I didn't hunt with large groups and there were a few comments that I could quite hear. I called the dogs and walked off. I couldn't hear exactly what they were saying but I don't think it was positive. They finally drove off after about 15 minutes, about the time I was getting worried about my truck.

That was the last place that I hunted because it got so warm. It was over
60*F on Sunday.

Back