off season

dakota hunting

i got my 6 to 7 month old GSP what should i do to keep her ready for the next season. Keep enforcing woah? Get planted birds? let her relax? this is my first pup whats my game plan

buy some good training books, read them from cover to cover, take notes, unless your memory is better than mine :), and listen to what the guys on this site tell you. If there is a preserve there, take the little fellor out ona few birds to see if he has an natural instincts, I bet he does, especially being a GSP :)

I will assume she has already been through her first hunting season. If she has then now would be a good time to start getting some of your basic obedience polished up. In other words "yard work". Get the basics ingrained, come, heal, sit, kennel, whoa, whatever you decide to teach. As she starts understanding these commands then you will need to continually challenger her by the use of distractions to gauge how well she has them down.

If you don't have a specific training program that your following or are a rank novice, i would suggest finding a breed club or a NAVHDA chapter and join. There you will have access to training grounds, birds and experienced dog people to give you guidance.

There are some good books and videos available for pointing breeds. Anything by Delmar Smith and for vids a good one to model your training after is the Perfect Start/Perfect Finish series by John and Cindy Hann of perfection kennels. Highly recommend it.

Good luck

Last edited:
I will assume she has already been through her first hunting season. If she has then now would be a good time to start getting some of your basic obedience polished up. In other words "yard work". Get the basics ingrained, come, heal, sit, kennel, whoa, whatever you decide to teach. As she starts understanding these commands then you will need to continually challenger her by the use of distractions to gauge how well she has them down.

If you don't have a specific training program that your following or are a rank novice, i would suggest finding a breed club or a NAVHDA chapter and join. There you will have access to training grounds, birds and experienced dog people to give you guidance.

There are some good books and videos available for pointing breeds. Anything by Delmar Smith and for vids a good one to model your training after is the Perfect Start/Perfect Finish series by John and Cindy Hann of perfection kennels. Highly recommend it.

Good luck

Great Plan.

i got my 6 to 7 month old GSP what should i do to keep her ready for the next season. Keep enforcing woah? Get planted birds? let her relax? this is my first pup whats my game plan

The Game plan depends upon what do you want out of her?
You need to decide if you want a finished/ Steady to wing/ or just a ordinary bird dog with no training.

I would find a club to help you.
If you want a great bird dog, Birds will teach them alot, birds once a week, every week, then OB, Whoa, kennel and other yard work the other days.
If you want a avarage bird dog, just hunt with them 10 to 12 days a year.

An athlete works out everyday to be the best, It is no different with dogs, the more they work the better they become.

Back