Off Season

dukhnter7

So the off season is in full swing. What do you do during the off season to prepare for next season. I am starting to look at a new gun, 16 gauge, for next season. Thinking about a new vest. I think I'll start buying a box of shells whenever I have a couple extra bucks in my pocket so I am stocked up on ammo for next season. All of that plus the usual dog training and trying to keep myself in some sort of shape to walk the fields and keeping in touch with the landowners that let me hunt their fields. What about you?

Pretty much the same. find ammo on sale. Keep in touch with all my friends(landowners). Just starting to walk short distances, so maybe by season I can cover some ground. Wait for Dove season or start early on the Collared ones. Run the pups when I can. Do my research and find the best area's to give us the best chance of success.

Shoot some, then reload some, then shoot some more. Spring trap league at Cherry Creek Family Shooting center and some sporting clays. I'll be ramping up my training with 5 mo. old lab Brady. And for diversion, backpacking, road and mtn bikes, golf, and fishing.

Hope that recovery keeps going well for you Bleu.
Tom

Summer

Working with the dog on birds, attending some field trials. Spending the next month or so getting the yard back in shape after getting mud, sand & debris in the September flood. Will do some trap and sporting clays, mostly spending time working on my old car projects and going to car shows, traveling to Germany and surrounding countries for 3+ weeks.

Bleu, happy to see you are on the mend!:cheers:

I keep my dog active & in-shape, I keep me active & in-shape, I shoot a few clays, fish, and we visit landowners & scout.

I got to catch up on my "ambling," since I was pretty much locked in by the temps this Winter.

Will be trying to NOT buy another old derelict aluminum boat and spending the summer bringing it back to utility. :)

See, the initial idea was to give me something to do and have a boat that would let me go fishing and be outdoors with the dog and catch big ole fish and eat fine food.

Everything worked, except I don't much like fishing, unless it is Rainbow trout from the crik. So far, I've done a boat once a year for the past two years. :eek:

I got a link somewhere.

1959 Alumacraft Model F
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25386

(with pictures!) :)

Last edited:
Keep training ... keeps me and our 3 boys out of trouble. :D
Doing 2 hunt AKC tests this spring (April and May)
Doing some prep work for NAVHDA - NA test for our youngster.
Weimaraner WCA Ratings test in June.

Run the boys off of the bike (one at a time) ;-) in the evening. Yesterday I did some scouting and found a 10+ mile route with few/no cars and no farm houses, all on dirt roads east of Brighton and north of Strasburg. Took Blitz out for a 5 mile run off of the bike. He ran the last mile at 15MPH with a 4 ft stick in his mouth, finished up and he wasn't even breathing hard. This is why I scoped out the 10 mile route. ;)

Planning out a trip to Montana in the middle of October, just after opening weekend.

Thinking about building a Johnny House for quail/Chukar and a retrieve bench.

Need to build a "cargo mode" platform for the Yukon so that all of the crates are level and be able store more gear.

I have my work cut out for me.

:cheers:

I hear you!

:cheers:

I got to catch up on my "ambling," since I was pretty much locked in by the temps this Winter.

Will be trying to NOT buy another old derelict aluminum boat and spending the summer bringing it back to utility. :)

See, the initial idea was to give me something to do and have a boat that would let me go fishing and be outdoors with the dog and catch big ole fish and eat fine food.

Everything worked, except I don't much like fishing, unless it is Rainbow trout from the crik. So far, I've done a boat once a year for the past two years. :eek:

I got a link somewhere.

1959 Alumacraft Model F
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25386

(with pictures!) :)

I run my dogs in field trials, hunt tests and I do some shooting here and there. I also call my contacts around mid July.....

I am a firm believer in keeping our four=legged friends in shape. I have labs, so I run hunt tests (AKC and NAHRA) and I also run the pointing lab tests.

I try to keep myself in shape as well.....

1 September will be here before you know it!!:p;)

Sorry that I haven't been on here for awhile, with my job I have been traveling alot...busy...when I am home I am training the dog or catching up on honey dos.......

OH yeah, I try to get in some camping and riding the ATV....also get ready for Big game season!

All the while spending time with the family.....
Greg

So the off season is in full swing. What do you do during the off season to prepare for next season. I am starting to look at a new gun, 16 gauge, for next season. Thinking about a new vest. I think I'll start buying a box of shells whenever I have a couple extra bucks in my pocket so I am stocked up on ammo for next season. All of that plus the usual dog training and trying to keep myself in some sort of shape to walk the fields and keeping in touch with the landowners that let me hunt their fields. What about you?

What 16 gauge are you thinking about?

I have been looking at several. I need to get my hands on a couple to see what fits. I like the A5 sweet 16's but I am thinking I would like to have an o/u. I have a cheap 20 o/u that I really like but the barrels are too short. Any suggestions?

Back