Off limits period and leash question

Bob Peters

I thought it was mid april but I couldn't find the date. Does anyone know when the nesting/dog off-limits period is for MN WMAs? And with regards to federal WPAs I believe dogs are not allowed except when hunting? And lastly, are there any places where an e-collar counts the same as a leash?MMM02558 (2).JPG

Had a screen of the dates but lost it, screenshotted that post now again. Better get the pup out for another few romps

Dogs are not allowed on federal land without a leash, unless actively hunting. Even camping/fishing they need to be leashed. Probably a few exceptions for specific areas, reading federal regs is a half day job though.

Dogs are not allowed on federal land without a leash, unless actively hunting. Even camping/fishing they need to be leashed. Probably a few exceptions for specific areas, reading federal regs is a half day job though.
I might not be the targeted group for this but out west, BLM and national forest allow dogs off lease. Developed areas and campgrounds are the exception.

July 15th is a bit early. I would argue closure should extend into early or mid-August to protect late nesters and young broods.

For the most part the only birds on the nest in April (laying eggs or incubating) would be Canada Geese, Woodcock, and a few mallards and pintails. Most grouse and pheasants are nesting May - early July.

If you really got to be out there ... you can test the leash rules by using a 20', 30' or even a 50' check cord. :unsure:

And Wilderness areas…
That one depends on the wilderness. The default is just "under control" which means recall trained.

"Dogs must be under control at all times. Dogs can harass, stress, injure or kill wildlife; annoy fellow hikers and introduce disease. Some wilderness areas require dogs be leashed at all times."

If you really got to be out there ... you can test the leash rules by using a 20', 30' or even a 50' check cord. :unsure:
I looked into it and I can bring dogs out on the federal prairie on a leash. The reason I was looking into it is because I've got a vacation coming up and I've always wanted to visit some native prairie that has never been plowed under. And hopefully get a glimpse of some wild buffalo.

That one depends on the wilderness. The default is just "under control" which means recall trained.

"Dogs must be under control at all times. Dogs can harass, stress, injure or kill wildlife; annoy fellow hikers and introduce disease. Some wilderness areas require dogs be leashed at all times."
In the Wilderness areas around Gunnison County, the signs read (paraphrased) Dogs Must Be on Leash

In the Wilderness areas around Gunnison County, the signs read (paraphrased) Dogs Must Be on Leash
Which ones you referring too?

West Elk Wilderness https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5357195.pdf
3. All dogs, except for working stock dogs, guidedogs or dogs used for legal hunting, must be restrained on a leash and/or under direct verbal control of the dogs’ owner or handler at all times. Petsare not a natural part of the wilderness and theirpresence can disrupt wildlife.

Powderhorn https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3807984.pdf
6. Possessing a dog which is not under control, or which is disturbing or damaging wildlife, people, or property. Note: the term “under control” is defined as the dog being leashed, and/or under direct verbal control by the dogs’ owner or handler at all times. 36 CFR 261.58 (s)

Wilderness areas bug me because their info is always so buried. But I think a lot of them allow dogs with a strong suggestion of being on lease. but allow the direct verbal control which is pretty vague.

Never googled the regulations, just saying what the signs say that are posted on the trail going to West Maroon Pass. When the snow melts enough in 3 months I'll take a pic. Never thought about second guessing the Forrest Service. Maybe they are more strict in that particular drainage because dogs out populate humans in Crested Butte/ Gunnison areas? Who knows...I keep mine under collar control and only occasionally get the hairy eye ball from passerby's.

Never googled the regulations, just saying what the signs say that are posted on the trail going to West Maroon Pass. When the snow melts enough in 3 months I'll take a pic. Never thought about second guessing the Forrest Service. Maybe they are more strict in that particular drainage because dogs out populate humans in Crested Butte/ Gunnison areas? Who knows...I keep mine under collar control and only occasionally get the hairy eye ball from passerby's.
Okay yeah that would be Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness which does require pets on lease. Need to check any wilderness you are looking to go before assuming.

Good grief… exploring a wilderness area with a leash sounds like going to the city park. Where’s a guy suppose to run his dog?

Good grief… exploring a wilderness area with a leash sounds like going to the city park. Where’s a guy suppose to run his dog?
It's a subset of national forest and typically there's plenty of other nation forest around. And again only like 1 out of 5 wilderness do the pets on lease thing.

Back