NSTRA vs BDC vs UFTA vs

southernblues

I'm interested in everyone's perspective on these groups. Among forums, breeders and gun dog owners different ramblings but nothing real concrete. I've visited each site (I'm sure there are other groups out there just havent seen them) and somewhat understand the concept. Having followed the US Open PHeasant thread (and watching it, sparingly) and now having a lower personal opinion of the running while hunting game, I'm curious as to how these stack up against each other?

NSTRA seems straight forward -- doesn't appear to be a 100 yd dash like BDC
BDC - fastest 6 birds down wins...?
UFTA - don't know much about it.

Youtube has BDC TV shows on it but can't find any of the others.

True NSTRA, use planted birds. But I have watched it live and on TV. But to me it is the closest competition to being a real hunt like situation. NSTRA had their yearly stop here in My Area this past weekend. I did go out and watch some dogs I was interested in seeing run. It was well worth the 25 minute drive..........Bob

I'm interested in everyone's perspective on these groups. Among forums, breeders and gun dog owners different ramblings but nothing real concrete. I've visited each site (I'm sure there are other groups out there just havent seen them) and somewhat understand the concept. Having followed the US Open PHeasant thread (and watching it, sparingly) and now having a lower personal opinion of the running while hunting game, I'm curious as to how these stack up against each other?

NSTRA seems straight forward -- doesn't appear to be a 100 yd dash like BDC
BDC - fastest 6 birds down wins...?
UFTA - don't know much about it.

Youtube has BDC TV shows on it but can't find any of the others.

southernblues,

I've done the BDC and this spring have run in two NSTRA events. I'm not familiar with the UFTA but after looking at their web site it appears to be similar to the BDC in many aspects. The problem I have with the BDC, and like events, is that there is too much emphasis place on the time. The faster you get the birds the higher the score. Personally I prefer the NSTRA format because your score is based solely on the work of the dog. Yes the scoring is subjective based on the judge, but I have found the scoring to be fair.

I see in the UFTA rules that a pointing dog only has to remain steady once the point is called by the handler for 3 seconds. That's not much of a point as far as I'm concerned. In NSTRA, once the dog goes on point it must remain steady (cannot move or take any steps) until the handler flushes the bird.

Like I said, I think that the BDC and UFTA are quite similar. NSTRA is all together different. But also remember, NSTRA is for pointing breeds only. BDC and UFTA both allow flushers, or have a division for both pointers and flushers.

If you have any other questions let me know. It would probably be best if you were able to attend these various trials and see what you think for yourself. I got involved in NSTRA for the fun of it. To be able to work with my dog and meet some dog owners. And I truly enjoyed the NSTRA events.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Kinda what I was thinking. I like the idea of watching good bird dog work in addition to the hunting season. I'm going to try and catch up on the regional NSTRA events to get an idea.

Travis

Thanks for the feedback guys. Kinda what I was thinking. I like the idea of watching good bird dog work in addition to the hunting season. I'm going to try and catch up on the regional NSTRA events to get an idea.

Travis

Unfortunately it looks like the NSTRA trials in your area are all done for the year. Go to the NSTRA web site www.nstra.org and click on the Region page. From there you can see the various regions and when they are holding trials. I don't know if any regions hold any trials in the fall but I don't think so since everyone is too busy hunting.

Back