NR small game license ?

All of ours are calendar year except the short-term licenses like 24 hour fish. Usually, the coming year's license is released for sale about December 15 and is good for the last half of December and all the next year. Some people have taken advantage of that and been able to hunt 2 seasons by coming late one year and early the next. FYI.

All of ours are calendar year except the short-term licenses like 24 hour fish. Usually, the coming year's license is released for sale about December 15 and is good for the last half of December and all the next year. Some people have taken advantage of that and been able to hunt 2 seasons by coming late one year and early the next. FYI.

That's what I am planning to do, thanks. I probably wont be shooting this year, ( recovering from open heart surgery and they don't want me to be subjected to recoil until my sternum is completely healed) .

I just want to put some pups on birds. Do you think private land owners would let me work the pups on their land if I am not shooting?

Might take some serious door knocking, but that owner is out there. I'd stay away from population centers to try.

We will be out there in December hunting on licenses we bought in January of last season. Good deal for sure!

Has there ever been talk of making the licenses good for the hunting season, not calendar year? Thats the way its always been done, so thats the way it will always be? I know the state is banking on guys buying a November license and then again a January license.

It doesn't matter for guys that go every year, because they'd buy one no matter what. I know several over here in Missouri that would like to go, but they can't for sure get out every year, so in essence they're buying a nonresident license for one weekend to hunt. Shelling out the money would be a lot more appealing to them if they could buy a license in November that was also good for January. They end up not going at all, which costs the state their tourism dollars in hotels, food, and fuel.

Doesn't matter to me either way, I've got a lifetime license, and would go every year anyways.

Has there ever been talk of making the licenses good for the hunting season, not calendar year? Thats the way its always been done, so thats the way it will always be? I know the state is banking on guys buying a November license and then again a January license.

It doesn't matter for guys that go every year, because they'd buy one no matter what. I know several over here in Missouri that would like to go, but they can't for sure get out every year, so in essence they're buying a nonresident license for one weekend to hunt. Shelling out the money would be a lot more appealing to them if they could buy a license in November that was also good for January. They end up not going at all, which costs the state their tourism dollars in hotels, food, and fuel.

Doesn't matter to me either way, I've got a lifetime license, and would go every year anyways.

The problem is, many seasons change over time, but the calendar is pretty static. It makes a lot of sense from a government viewpoint to keep the licenses on the calendar year.

The other side of the equation is that of perspective. These same folks that say that they can't afford the license of $72.50 are spending that each night for a motel, each day or two for gas, each 2-3 days for meals........ If you do the math, the license is no more expensive that many of the other costs associated with hunting. Sure cheaper than a dog, gun, truck, or GPS collar. Perspective.

Understand all your points. Also, not that they can't afford two licenses in the same bird season, it's they don't want to buy two for one. Again, not an issue if they go every year.

This is coming from a Missouri perspective, where they buy a license, and it is good for the entire hunting season. My license here expires the end of February.

They do funny things here though, whoever heard of plugging a gun for upland birds. Called them all liars the first time I pheasant hunted here.

Again, it's perspective. They are buying 2 licenses for 2 years, not 2 for 1 season. May be different in Missouri, but the math will all work out in the long run. Using their logic, they are getting 2 seasons for 1 license if they buy it in January. Can do that from their computer the first of the year and not worry about another until after Christmas. Six of one/half dozen on another:)

Still cheaper than almost anywhere in the West. I am in Idaho, and here and all surrounding states annual nonresident bird licenses run from $150 to $200.

The cost of a NR license is essentially moot in my opinion. I bought a license for Iowa this year... first time hunting out of state. The license was $123.00, with the habitat stamp. On my trip, I spent $350 in lodging, $250-$300 in gas, and an excessive amount on food/drink.. the Harley Dealer, etc. I plan on going back out in December. You get the point.

Back