No New Farm Bill (again) - What's Next?

Well, the latest extension to the 2008 Farm Bill (September 30) has come and gone, and Congress has not been able to pass a new one. In fact they have not been able to pass one in 2 years. So what is next?

I follow this issue somewhat but I do not consider myself an expert. I am not in agriculture and never have been but I believe more people (including our leaders) ought to be more concerned about the future of ag in this country. Admittedly my primary focus, as an upland hunter and concerned conservationist, is the large-scale conservation programs like CRP that have been part of the Farm Bill. The benefits to the soil, water and air of such programs cannot be denied - and a secondary benefit has been to wildlife.

I've learned that the Farm Bill is a strange conglomeration of programs, replete with political pork, corruption, and abuse. What I've come to realize is that in its current form the Farm Bill needs to die, or at least dissected and totally restructured. And the multitude of programs bundled in the Farm Bill need to be split out and stand (or fall) on their own merit.

What will become of the Farm Bill now? And perhaps more to the interests of good folks on this forum, what will become of the national conservation programs that our sport has come to depend on? Will new legislation advancing conservation programs be passed without being bundled with programs like food stamps?

As things stand now I am not confident at all that a Farm Bill, in either its current form or a newly restructured/improved form will be passed by Congress. They will continue to kick the can down the road as they have been (and as they are doing with many other issues). I hope I'm wrong but gridlock seems to be the order of the day.

Any views or opinions on this are appreciated!

We may be at a crossroads in ag because of the deficit and the times we live in. It was my dads dream and it has been mine to be able to farm with out the government involved. Maybe, just maybe we might be seeing that as a possibility. If crop insurance would go away or at least be payed for by the farmer it would change alot of things for the better. Now I am speaking as a 62 year old that is about to harvest his 42nd crop. My two sons who are just getting started would probably disagree with me. Corn and beans as it is being done now even with no till is degrading the soil. There is a beacon of light on the horizon as new methods such as cover crops and managed grazing are being utilised. I am probably going to retire in another 10 or 15 years and it would be refreshing if the ditch to ditch farmers had to make it off of the land exclusively instead of getting prevent plant payments from sloughs that never should have been farmed in the first place. I don't suppose I am going to get to see this because I don't think the government and the Monsanto types that lobby them will ever give up that much control.

We may be at a crossroads in ag because of the deficit and the times we live in. It was my dads dream and it has been mine to be able to farm with out the government involved. Maybe, just maybe we might be seeing that as a possibility. If crop insurance would go away or at least be payed for by the farmer it would change alot of things for the better. Now I am speaking as a 62 year old that is about to harvest his 42nd crop. My two sons who are just getting started would probably disagree with me. Corn and beans as it is being done now even with no till is degrading the soil. There is a beacon of light on the horizon as new methods such as cover crops and managed grazing are being utilised. I am probably going to retire in another 10 or 15 years and it would be refreshing if the ditch to ditch farmers had to make it off of the land exclusively instead of getting prevent plant payments from sloughs that never should have been farmed in the first place. I don't suppose I am going to get to see this because I don't think the government and the Monsanto types that lobby them will ever give up that much control.
I'll tip my hat! Said eloquently, but you better watch out, they will suspend your Farm Bureau card, cancel your subscription to "progessive farmer today". I hope you can keep it the family, in my opinion, you might be the patriots in the reformation of U.S. agriculture. We'll remeber the men who even with personal hardship, showed us the way.

looks like it will go back to 1940 something law for now because the president said he wont allow an extension (veto).
Crop insurance needs to be tied to conservation, there are alot of guys out there that think nothing is wrong with the algae bloom and stream quality issues we have now as long as the government keeps stuffing their pockets. Subsides need to go away also, i believe these where originally designed to kick in only durring the bad years. This bill and all others need to focus on saving money. Like haymaker said it would be nice if the government just let everything go to the open market and cut all ties to the taxpayers but they wont let that happen.

I'll tip my hat! Said eloquently, but you better watch out, they will suspend your Farm Bureau card, cancel your subscription to "progessive farmer today". I hope you can keep it the family, in my opinion, you might be the patriots in the reformation of U.S. agriculture. We'll remeber the men who even with personal hardship, showed us the way.

Thank you for your kind words. Oh yea when I talk about not using glyphosate and not planting GMO crops people look at me like I am nuts. Rather like when I talk about moving electric fence twice a day so I can mob graze. It is not just me, Moeller posted about flying cover crops on standing corn. I think that is a great idea. There are articles in farm magazines about the premium for non GMO crops. I got to spend a couple hours with Gabe Brown and Neil Dennis among others yesterday. These guys are the real pioneers of that glimmer of hope on the horizon. The really cool thing is that they are available to learn from and they are teaching others who are spreading the word.

Haymaker and oldandnew...excellent posts and couldn't agree more.

Why anyone thinks that government central planning of any part of our society is a good thing is beyond me. We all know the results of central planning yet far too often people who would nod readily in agreement that central planning leads to shortages, waste and destruction end up nodding yes to government control of farming, energy, education, health care, etc.

It's a if people were taught in school that wealth, happiness, food, housing, and the good of the economy flows forth from Wash DC. :(

We live in a sad state.

Thanks all for your great comments and keep 'em coming. It is good to see some sane viewpoints and especially from landowners here doing something positive on your land. You set a fine example and only hope more will follow.

If you read responses from alot the AG groups they says its important to them because farmers use the farm bill to mange when,where and what they plant. "WHERE" is exactly why insurance needs to be linked to conservation compliance. If your depending on insurance to back you on planting a certain field then odds are its highly erodible or subject to flooding and shouldnt be in production in the first place.

You guys are on your A game:thumbsup: Outstanding responses:10sign: I'm tired of hearing farmers brag how the gov't going to buy them a pick up or house. Biggest welfare recipeants in the nation:eek: Wheres the tea baggers to stop this unjust spending:D

Great Topic I hope & pray cover cropping takes a foothold in the near future

You guys are on your A game:thumbsup: Outstanding responses:10sign: I'm tired of hearing farmers brag how the gov't going to buy them a pick up or house. Biggest welfare recipeants in the nation:eek: Wheres the tea baggers to stop this unjust spending:D

Left wing talk radio is bashing the Tea Party because they want to cut the farm bill. They are trying, support them and maybe they will get it done. Call your senators and tell them you want what the Tea Party wants.

If you read responses from alot the AG groups they says its important to them because farmers use the farm bill to mange when,where and what they plant. "WHERE" is exactly why insurance needs to be linked to conservation compliance. If your depending on insurance to back you on planting a certain field then odds are its highly erodible or subject to flooding and shouldnt be in production in the first place.

exactly my point. Why do farmers need the govt to tell them what to plant, where to plant? One would think that these farmers would be in the best position since they know the land best but I guess when you hold out billions of dollars of other peoples money as enticement it's hard to say no.

OKIE, I see a lot of cover crops planted in the wheat stubble around here.

UGuide,

I think that Northern States will benefit much more than us Flatlanders down here. Some around here are beginning to attempt into transitioning to cover crop farming. There is a learning curve and mind set change in order to be successful, especially if the weather doesn't cooperate.

I would be interested in how are they terminating the cover crop up there, tillage, crimping or chemical burn-down?

UGuide,

I think that Northern States will benefit much more than us Flatlanders down here. Some around here are beginning to attempt into transitioning to cover crop farming. There is a learning curve and mind set change in order to be successful, especially if the weather doesn't cooperate.

I would be interested in how are they terminating the cover crop up there, tillage, crimping or chemical burn-down?

In my case winter will take care of it. I am new to this so I have a lot to learn, but what I planted will die when it freezes.

UGuide,

Winter-kill species mainly.

If you had prevent plant acres might make sense to plant a vetch or something that makes buukuu nitrogen given a longer growing window and then worth the cost of mechanical or chemical kill.

Left wing talk radio is bashing the Tea Party because they want to cut the farm bill. They are trying, support them and maybe they will get it done. Call your senators and tell them you want what the Tea Party wants.

There is not one thing the Teabaggers want that I want...LOL
yeh they want to cut the bill,not payments to farmers they want cuts to food stamps... 74% go to kids, elderly and handicap.. about 4 % to military families to make ends met... Michelle Bauchman gets government payments so do the Koch brothers on there ranch land out west, you really believe they are going to cut there own payments? Don't think soooo. Like any program yeh there are cheaters but I don't hear any baggers come up with ways to stop the cheating just cuts.. All for stopping the fraud but you don't do that by slashing food stamps, you just hurt the ones who really need them.:cheers:

There is not one thing the Teabaggers want that I want...LOL
yeh they want to cut the bill,not payments to farmers they want cuts to food stamps... 74% go to kids, elderly and handicap.. about 4 % to military families to make ends met... Michelle Bauchman gets government payments so do the Koch brothers on there ranch land out west, you really believe they are going to cut there own payments? Don't think soooo. Like any program yeh there are cheaters but I don't hear any baggers come up with ways to stop the cheating just cuts.. All for stopping the fraud but you don't do that by slashing food stamps, you just hurt the ones who really need them.:cheers:

The best way to stop cheating of a program, any program, is to eliminate the program.

The best way to stop cheating of a program, any program, is to eliminate the program.

So by your theory we should bet rid of hunting because people cheat at this also? LOL

The tea party will always loose... know why because they are a small group of small minded people who are willing to believe anything they hear.. Must be horrible to be that angry everyday and living in the best country in the world and they cant stand it?;)

All I have to say about this stupidity....

Back