Nice article about program in Dodge City...

PassItOn

Brent Frazee, outdoor writer for the Kansas City Star, has a nice article about the Hunter Ed in the Schools program they have in Dodge City:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/outdoors/article47015240.html

Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors did a First Hunt event with them in October and we have another planned for 12/29. Any volunteers?

We also have a First Hunt planned for 12/30 in Kingman. They have a hunter ed program in the Middle School there (38 7th-graders took Hunter Ed this fall).

Mike Christensen
Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors, Inc.

Are they still shooting birds out of launchers. You might as well start them out on an Atari. Just kidding Mike:D You do make it hard for us normal guys to compete though.

Its a good program you have going on. I've thought a lot about it.:cheers:

Brent Frazee, outdoor writer for the Kansas City Star, has a nice article about the Hunter Ed in the Schools program they have in Dodge City:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/outdoors/article47015240.html

Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors did a First Hunt event with them in October and we have another planned for 12/29. Any volunteers?

We also have a First Hunt planned for 12/30 in Kingman. They have a hunter ed program in the Middle School there (38 7th-graders took Hunter Ed this fall).

Mike Christensen
Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors, Inc.

Mike,

I read the article and thought it was well done. I think it's great what you and others are doing to get our youth interested in the outdoors and hunting/fishing. On that note, I'd like your opinion. I have some buddies who have younger kids that enjoy hunting. However, they've had a tough time getting them into birds. Those of us who have been at it a long time are to the point that we enjoy the experience regardless of the number of birds. But, the young kids want/need some action to remain interested. Any thoughts on what they can do to enhance the experience for the young uns?

Thanks, Nick

BDC2,

Yes, we're still using the bird launchers. It's a step up from Atari :).

But we're sure to see birds this way!

Nick,

Short of using planted birds like we do with our First Hunts, you just have to work a little harder on the scouting to make sure there's going to be something for them to see.

We like dove hunts for this reason. With a little luck, they can see lots of birds and do lots of shooting.

We stress that it's not about bringing home game but the experience of hunting. That doesn't always resonate with a youngster who's pushed field after field of gnarly CRP, but that's still the message we want to impart to them.

We also try to let them know why they are or are not seeing game. We've had to cancel deer hunts over the last couple of years due to the drought. Not what we want but it's the hand Mother Nature dealt.

Any time outdoors is good time, especially for kids today who don't spend enough of their day outside!

Mike C.

It's like a fire, we want the desire to hunt to start as an ember and become a raging obsession in them through time. You can't expect them to blaze with desire when everything is an unknown to them. That is one of the reasons I hate to see children started out on deer. Where is there for them to go if their first harvest is a 160 inch buck??? Give them a squirrel, a dove, and bunny and there is room for growth. Next is the duck, rooster and bob. Some day it will be a coyote, turkey, or deer, but build it stick by stick. Just my opinion!

Mike and Troy,

Thank you both for your responses. I agree with both of you. I will share your thoughts and suggestions with my buddies.

Thanks, Nick

It's like a fire, we want the desire to hunt to start as an ember and become a raging obsession in them through time. You can't expect them to blaze with desire when everything is an unknown to them. That is one of the reasons I hate to see children started out on deer. Where is there for them to go if their first harvest is a 160 inch buck??? Give them a squirrel, a dove, and bunny and there is room for growth. Next is the duck, rooster and bob. Some day it will be a coyote, turkey, or deer, but build it stick by stick. Just my opinion!

I feel the same way, I have some boys that want to hunt our ground and want shoot a big buck ( 160 inch or bigger ) . I let them know that they could come hunt during the antler less season and harvest a doe , they didn't make it last year and likely won't come this year . Start small and work your way up start like an ember , like Troy said

I know it is important for many of Mike's kids to have success on this, their first hunt, because they may be one and done without it. If they don't get the spark this day, they may not ever try again. I know from our 7th grade hunter's ed class that a lot of the kids gather into groups where they plan ahead their level of involvement. Sometime a group of girls will decide that they don't want to shoot at all. If I can get one of them to try it, I can usually get them all to the line and often they all finish their 10 shells. I've had girls come out of such a group and shoot 4 or 5 out of 5. You want to see the preplanned group break down and do a 180, that'll do it. Great Work Mike!

That kind of a program will also help keep some of the kids from permanently leaving the area when they go out on their own. They learn to have fun out there.

Mike , I could possibly help with one more hunt this year. I was a mentor last year at Waconda lake and plan to be there this year. If you have a hunt you need help with, let me know. My work schedule is horrible this time of the year so I never really know what days I will be free till close to the date. Todd/Radar

Todd,

I'll be there for the Youth & Women's hunt too!

We have a hunt in Dodge City scheduled for 12/29 and one in Kingman scheduled for 12/30. Could you help with either of those?

We'll also be scheduling some more thru March.

Mike

Due to work , the 29th or 30th would probably not work since those are Tues and Wed. I signed up for the email updates on the pass it on site and will keep watching for some I can help with. I should see you next weekend.

I have to agree on the dove hunt for youth. We (local QF) did a dove hunt this year as a youth program and the kids loved it. They averaged a box of shells in a couple of hours and learned the fun of applying their trap team polished skills. The hunt was easy to prepare for cheap in the grand scheme of things. It was easier to keep them in a safe environment and the parents liked the ability to participate. We had kids from 7-17 participate. The only ones with bigger smiles were the mentors.:)

Back