New to South Dakota new to bird hunting

People keep mentioning giving time for crops to come out. Corn started getting combined about a week ago around here. Never seen it this early in my life. It looks like mid to late October around here, except some beans are still green.

You have a Brittany. Hunt the grass. Birds are there. Yes - many are in the corn until the last hour, but not all.

You have a Brittany. Do not fear walking something just walked ... especially if your dog can stretch out a bit. You would be surprised at the birds that run around, off to the side and even back behind hunters.

SD resident you get the weekend or so before the general opener.
Thanks will keep that in mind

Corn started getting combined about a week ago around here.
Are you sure they were combining it? I saw some get chopped just last week too. That's different than harvesting the cobs though. It must be really bad because most of the beans I saw were still completely green as well and they always work on those before corn.

Hoping it will stay dry and combines keep rolling. Last year harvest looked early then the rains came.

Looks to be a multi-day rain event incoming later this week to the region.

At this point some areas are in terrible drought so even though it may affect the harvest, I think most of us would welcome the beneficial moisture.

Attachments

• 6c5e06-20230918-european-model-ecmwf-precipitation-output-webp9.pdf
    795.2 KB · Views: 16
Every day pheasant hunting in October and November is a great day. You are resident now ... just go when you can.

December is great too if the snow is not too deep or the temps do not run sub-zero for too long.

Back