New to Nebraska

DMJFamily5

Hey all fellow outdoorsmen, new guy here. My family and I just moved to Nebraska from Iowa a couple of months ago. So far love Nebraska - driven all the way across the state to Cheyenne, WY already and feel like I've seen some awesome habitat in the state.

I'll be headed out to some public access tomorrow for the opener with my 7 year old GSP, Sage. I've done tons of reading and not much scouting on places to hunt, but I'm headed out into the unknown.

Any tips or pointers all you experienced Nebraskans have for me would be greatly appreciated. Likely headed towards the Hastings area to find some roosters and maybe some quail. Good luck to all tomorrow, stay safe AND GO HAWKS!:D

Hey all fellow outdoorsmen, new guy here. My family and I just moved to Nebraska from Iowa a couple of months ago. So far love Nebraska - driven all the way across the state to Cheyenne, WY already and feel like I've seen some awesome habitat in the state.

I'll be headed out to some public access tomorrow for the opener with my 7 year old GSP, Sage. I've done tons of reading and not much scouting on places to hunt, but I'm headed out into the unknown.

Any tips or pointers all you experienced Nebraskans have for me would be greatly appreciated. Likely headed towards the Hastings area to find some roosters and maybe some quail. Good luck to all tomorrow, stay safe AND GO HAWKS!:D

Where you located in NE? Did you have any success. After 6 years of residence, I'm finally getting out for some upland hunting. Taking my 9 year old son along. He'll act as my bird dog.

Where you located in NE? Did you have any success. After 6 years of residence, I'm finally getting out for some upland hunting. Taking my 9 year old son along. He'll act as my bird dog.

Yes had some luck getting onto a bunch of quail, but I didn't see any pheasants which is what I set out to find. Shot two quail on a poor shooting day personally, easily could've had my limit. Also stopped hunting that day at 11am as it was 70 degrees by then. No need to burn the dog out that early in the year.

I'm located in Gretna with an Omaha address. You?

Yes had some luck getting onto a bunch of quail, but I didn't see any pheasants which is what I set out to find. Shot two quail on a poor shooting day personally, easily could've had my limit. Also stopped hunting that day at 11am as it was 70 degrees by then. No need to burn the dog out that early in the year.

I'm located in Gretna with an Omaha address. You?

NW Omaha. I'm thinking of heading South to Tecumseh, and hitting as many of the OFW/CRP areas that I can between there and Beatrice. See how long the kid lasts, and if we are able to get into any birds.

Last edited:
Back