New Scatter Gun

Skeet Mc

I purchased the Franchi Instinct SL 20ga w/26" barrels. I really like the weight and classic styling of this little gun. It shoulders fast!!! I will pattern the gun this evening and use it this weekend on what will probably be my last quail hunt of the year. Is anyone else shooting on of these? if you have one let me know your thoughts.

We have a small local shop that has one sitting in the rack been looking at it for a couple of months now. I hate to go there again in fear it's going to be following me home. I just traded my CZ DT in on a Franchi Affinity 3 20 gauge which I love but would like to get another 20 gauge Over/Under also. How did yours pattern with the stock chokes?

Lubers,

I purchased mine used and it came with full and IMP Modified chokes. I ordered Carlson tubes for it when I purchased the gun off of Gun Broker. I hunted with it this weekend and really liked it. It does have some recoil, even with light loads. Last night I wanted to see how it did with 3" Prairie Storms........it kicks like a mule!!!!!

I have an Instinct L in 12 gauge. Probably do 50% of my upland hunting with this shotgun, using Carlson Prairie Storm chokes IM over LM. It is light enough to be a joy to carry all day but that and the slim wrist means the recoil of Prairie Storm or Federal short mag Premium Upland loads I use cause the back of the trigger guard to slam my second finger pretty fair. Pretty painful after the first couple days of the season. Installing a rubber trigger guard bumper took care of it...

I have an Instinct L in 12 gauge. Probably do 50% of my upland hunting with this shotgun, using Carlson Prairie Storm chokes IM over LM. It is light enough to be a joy to carry all day but that and the slim wrist means the recoil of Prairie Storm or Federal short mag Premium Upland loads I use cause the back of the trigger guard to slam my second finger pretty fair. Pretty painful after the first couple days of the season. Installing a rubber trigger guard bumper took care of it...

Thanks for the information I'll have to look into the trigger guard bumper, won't be going to the gun shop anytime soon going in for my knee replacement in a couple of days, soon as I can walk up and down stairs (gun shop located on 2nd floor) I'll be going back to see if its still available..

I've had this problem with certain shotguns and it can become very painful. Got to the point with one shotgun I didn't even want to shoot it anymore so I sold it. I still have a lump of scar tissue on my middle finger where I got pounded. I tried a rubber bumper on the trigger guard but that didn't seem to help. What I found was that shotguns with the trigger set back further in the trigger guard didn't cause the problem or at least as bad.

Thanks for the information I'll have to look into the trigger guard bumper, won't be going to the gun shop anytime soon going in for my knee replacement in a couple of days, soon as I can walk up and down stairs (gun shop located on 2nd floor) I'll be going back to see if its still available..

Tried a couple, settled on this one from Hastings. It attaches with a small brass bolt & nut, tightened it down with some lock-tite, and it hasn't moved...
https://www.hastingsdistribution.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=50

@skeet Mc I also shoot the SL in 20 ga. I love it. Easy to handle in the field, quick to shoulder and comes in a neutral cast which for me being left handed is a benefit.

Hoster05,

Have you had any issues with the top barrel not firing. I took mine out the last weekend of season and the top barrel wouldn't go boom. I had the barrel selector in the correct position and thumbed the safety back and forth....still nothing. I ended up moving the selector to the bottom barrel and then it would fire and set the trigger for the top barrel. I took it home and cleaned and oiled it but it continued to not fire the top barrel unless the bottom barrel was first fired. I have my gunsmith going through it now. I sure love how it feels and shoots but I am a little disappointed in the mechanics. I bought it second hand but it had never been fired supposedly. So no warranty.

I have not had any issues. This is my 2nd season with this gun and I bought it brand new. I'd think the gunsmith would be able to work the issue out.

Hoster05,

Have you had any issues with the top barrel not firing. I took mine out the last weekend of season and the top barrel wouldn't go boom. I had the barrel selector in the correct position and thumbed the safety back and forth....still nothing. I ended up moving the selector to the bottom barrel and then it would fire and set the trigger for the top barrel. I took it home and cleaned and oiled it but it continued to not fire the top barrel unless the bottom barrel was first fired. I have my gunsmith going through it now. I sure love how it feels and shoots but I am a little disappointed in the mechanics. I bought it second hand but it had never been fired supposedly. So no warranty.

Have had mine a few years and haven't had any issues at all. Function and ejection have been flawless, no matter which barrel I select to shoot first...

Back