New pup

Upland4Ever

I got a new Yellow Male British pup. Totally different attitude than my American chocolate lab from Storms Riptide Star. Now I got my pup from a very respected British breeder. He no longer declaw them. And input please.

I got a new Yellow Male British pup. Totally different attitude than my American chocolate lab from Storms Riptide Star. Now I got my pup from a very respected British breeder. He no longer declaw them. And input please.

Assuming it was Robert Milner of Duckhill Kennels? He has not been removing dewclaws from his pups for years.

Irishwhistler

My input would be "Congratulations! Enjoy your pup!"

Don't worry about the dewclaws. In the UK, breeders generally do NOT remove dewclaws and they seem to get along just fine.

I've had Labs both with and without. Right now in the house I have an even split, 2 with and 2 without. They all do fine in the field. Years ago I had one English import tear a dew claw but not to a debilitating degree; we wrapped it and she kept hunting. Years ago I had one declawed male in a very precarious situation trying to climb up on ice in a pond; he made it and picked up several ducks off the ice (I did have him take the indirect non-water route back to me though).

Trim that dew claw like the other nails and don't give it anymore thought than that.

Thanks to all. I love my old chocolate to death great hunter but he almost gets as high strung as a pointer. He is my first dog as has thought me a ton. This British is just so laid back and super smart. I didn’t believe it at first but I paid the same as I did for my chocolate out Riptide star.

Thanks to all. I love my old chocolate to death great hunter but he almost gets as high strung as a pointer. He is my first dog as has thought me a ton. This British is just so laid back and super smart. I didn’t believe it at first but I paid the same as I did for my chocolate out Riptide star.

Have anyone had an American Lab, and British any advice thanks.

Back