New Pup Picked

Frosty Morn

Well, I'm trying to upload the picture of my new four week old Chestnut Tri English Setter. Looking forward to the new hunting partner..

Last edited:
She's pretty! Nice blocky head and good color around her eyes for protection! Wish you a long fruitful partnership together!!! Gotta ask, what's her bloodlines?

Looks like a nice pup congrats! Please tell me you are not picking her up at 4 weeks. They need to stay with the litter till around 7 weeks to get all they need to be well socialized.

First off congrats on the pup, shes beautiful.

When my dogs had pups we asked all the new owners to leave them with mom until they were 10wks and visit the litter at least twice before picking. We ended up finding the best potential owners this way and they left with happy, healthy, confident pups.:cheers:

From now on if I buy a pup I will ask the breeder to keep him until 10wks, if they won't I'll find another breeder.

Last edited:
That explains that beautiful head! I can ony hope you have a "George Bird Evans" relationship with her!

Oh no I'm not getting her yet. I live in Central Oregon and she's in Northern Wisconsin. She'll be taking United out next month.

First off congrats on the pup, shes beautiful.

When my dogs had pups we asked all the new owners to leave them with mom until they were 10wks and visit the litter at least twice before picking. We ended up finding the best potential owners this way and they left with happy, healthy, confident pups.:cheers:

From now on if I buy a pup I will ask the breeder to keep him until 10wks, if they won't I'll find another breeder.

I don't have a problem keeping a pup for 10 weeks. I think they learn all they need from mom after about 6 weeks. The next week is pecking order in the litter. After that they are fairly well socialized and ready to go to their new homes. It doesn't work for some of my buyers to come and visit the litter at least twice. I live in Minnesota and one of the pups from my last litter went to San Diego California! He did fly in to pick her up, but I think it is asking a little too much for him to fly out twice. I got a lot of specifics on what he was looking for and I was able to hand pick a pup for him from the litter. Your breeder is always the best resource on finding the right pup for your family. They live with and handle the pups on a daily basis. They know them best at that age.

Yeah Goldenboy, holding "A" pup for 10 weeks isn't a big problem, but holding a litter til 10 weeks can be. Many buyers expect to pick up their pup close to the 7 week age. Forcing them to wait that additional 3 week minimum for someone in front of them can make them drop out etc. From the breeder standpoint it causes logistic problems and added costs. Additional vaccinations will be required and the size of shipping crate may well increase adding to shipping costs for everyone. It's often tough to line up prospective buyers due to their schedules and before you know it people are picking up 12-16 week old pups that are looking like partly grown dogs.

I don't have a problem keeping a pup for 10 weeks. I think they learn all they need from mom after about 6 weeks. The next week is pecking order in the litter. After that they are fairly well socialized and ready to go to their new homes. It doesn't work for some of my buyers to come and visit the litter at least twice. I live in Minnesota and one of the pups from my last litter went to San Diego California! He did fly in to pick her up, but I think it is asking a little too much for him to fly out twice. I got a lot of specifics on what he was looking for and I was able to hand pick a pup for him from the litter. Your breeder is always the best resource on finding the right pup for your family. They live with and handle the pups on a daily basis. They know them best at that age.

All of my pups were spoken for by the time they were 6 weeks old. I understand it doesn't work for everyone, one of my pups also went to San Diego which is 500mi away from me. They happened to be driving throgh town when the pups were 8 weeks so the little girl went home with them. My pups were nothing special just good honest bird dogs from proven (in the field) parents with good confirmation. I know that 8 weeks is normal but I think an extra 2 with the parents and a breeder who spends individual time with each pup everyday is very good for them. Just my opinion.

Sorry for the hi jack Frosty.

Last edited:
What a cutie! I'm a sucker for that sad puppy look.:10sign:

Back