New pump acton shotgun?

I understand everyone has their strong opinion about one shotgun being better then the rest. I hope I'm not beating a dead horse by asking this, but what would anyone recommend for a replacement 12 ga pump action shotgun. I would like it to be able to hold a 3.5 inch shell and be universal between waterfowl and upland hunting. I don't want to drain my bank account. I'm thinking of spending around $400-$500ish. I know an 870 is always a reliable gun and is my go to purchase, I am just trying to be more open minded before I make any sudden purchases.
Currently my primary shotgun is a Charles Daily pump action 12 ga that I won at a DU banquet. Last fall I had some issues with the gun double feeding and I know its not the highest quality gun. I however did like how light it was and it held a 3.5 inch shell. Ive owned the gun for about 8 years and its been a great gun so far. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

You just can't go wrong with a Remington 870. Probably the premier pump shotgun on the market and has been for a long time. I've owned several 870's over the past 50+ years and don't ever remember having an issue with one. Another option you could look at the Benelli Nova. I have no personal experience with the Nova so I can't help you there. I'm sure others on this site will throw in their 2 cents. Buy the one that fits you the best. Good luck.

The 870 is a good choice, I have 4 of them, 2 wingmasters 12 & 20 and 2 expresses 12 & 20. My question would be if you have a gun that chambers 3.5 shells then why not just use that one as your primary waterfowl and if you get another use that for upland. I would suggest looking for a wingmaster, just an overall better gun and I think higher quality metal. I use my express for waterfowl as it holds 3" shells. I use my wingmaster for pheasants out west, the added capacity is nice but it does get heavy to carry. The only other pump I would recommend is the model 12, but you would loose the 3.5 capability. I know both of these have double slide arms which some of the others don't, I'm not sure about Benellis. Provided a more solid shuck over one arms. I have had friends with Benellis but I have not had any experience with them. One should always have a nice cache of bird guns. Bottom line is find a gun that you shoot well and go with it, like dogs everyone has their bias. I would highly recommend the 870. Just my thoughts good luck and let use know what you get.

Take a look at the Winchester SXP. I can't speak for the 3.5" version but I like my 3". Lighter than most others and throws good patterns with factory tubes. I think about 350 for a new 3". One of the reasons I went to it from an 870 was the safety placement ahead of the triggger. My trigger finger stays warmer in cold late season hunts.

I've always had 870s and M-12s. Model 12s are all pretty old now, not a choice for a main waterfowl gun, upland hunting maybe.

Wingmaster 870 would be my choice.

I've seen some good prices on Browning BPS guns, some good used ones also. I've never been around one but they are tempting.

While it is not a Wingmaster, an 870 Express Super Magnum appears to be what you are looking for. I have both the Wingmaster and Express models in 2 3/4" and 3". My only complaint is that the Express rusted easily until I decided that since it was a flat black finish it needed a light coat of Rustoleum flat black. Problem solved. The camo finish is over a hundred dollars more, but the wood and synthetic versions are under 400 dollars. The only other negative I've heard about the Express models is that some early versions had rough chambers that didn't extract shells, but could be polished, which solved the problem.

You can get a Mossberg 835 with a second barrel (fully rifled slug barrel) for the same price as an 870 Express with one barrel. Mossberg pumps actions also have a solid reputation and have the advantage of having an ambidextrous tang mounted safety.

Browning BPS is a great gun. I have shot 3 gauges (20, 12, and my brothers 10). The bottom ejection is nice for lefties. Currently own two (20 micro and 12 3.5" stalker) and youngest son has the standard BPS.

Benelli Supernova is nice. Oldest son shoots one. It handles the 3.5 inch shell. Seems to point slightly different than the Browning BPS. It looks more like a military type gun than traditional shotgun.

I have owned a Wingmaster 870 and did NOT really care for it. I have other Remingtons and my 1100 was my go to competitive skeet gun until I wore it out. My Remington bolt action rifle has been good to me.

Have a 16g Winchester Model 12 that I have yet to try. Father in-law gave me the gun. Full choke.

Mossberg is poorly made. I owned the one with the interchangeable barrels. Tolerance control was poor (loose). It maybe the only gun that I have bought that I sold ... the rest stay with me.

My BPS 3.5" stalker is my hard core waterfowling gun. I use it in cold weather and in fields where the Dakota soil is fine and the dust penetrates the surfaces of all moving parts.

I sold my old 3.5" BPS a few years ago in the price range you are looking at. It was a good gun. Never gave me a bit of trouble, and I shot it a LOT.

I will say this, some of the hot-n-heavy waterfowl and turkey loads are freaking brutal to shoot out of a pump. The guns don't weigh much and have almost no recoil protection except a rubber butt pad, and the trend in waterfowl and turkey loads is heavier + faster... I went to pattern that BPS with some heavy turkey loads, and only took 2 shots before I decided the gun was lethal at both ends. :laugh: It's no issue with normal loads, but you're asking about a 3.5" gun presumably to shoot the big stuff.

Last edited:
I just recently bought a Mossberg 500 for a backup gun, 12ga 3" with the black synthetic furniture. Cost me 300$ from Cabela's. I love the thing, well made and goes bang every time. The 835 is it's 3.5" big brother. If you plan on going with the Remington, I would stay away from the express line of guns. The qc on those guns seems to be lacking. My friend had one that was a lemon, and I've heard of other that had similar experiences. They used to be unbeatable, but I'm not a fan of Remington as a company today. My vote goes for the Mossberg.

I've also used a Benelli SuperNova a good bit and liked the gun a lot. Heard very good things about the BPS too. I wanted an American made shotgun as well, which is another reason I chose the Mossberg. 100% made in America, and tough as hell. Good luck with your decision! It's always fun shopping for a new firearm.

CZ 612 series is affordable and reliable. the 612 Turkey and Waterfowl has
3.5 chamber set in an alloy receiver. So lightweight and 3.5 both what you are looking for in a replacement. The MSRP is $429.00.:thumbsup:

If you should have a problem it is handled at the service center in Kansas City KS. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Thanks,

Kickemup.

Get a semi-auto, there are price point options that rival a upper end pump gun, franchi has one that holds a three and a half, you'll be glad you did it.

I would stay away from the 870's, the new ones are not the reliable 870's of the past, a quick google search should show you that. The Benelli Supernova and Winchester SXP are great guns to do what you're looking for.

I would stay away from the 870's, the new ones are not the reliable 870's of the past, a quick google search should show you that. The Benelli Supernova and Winchester SXP are great guns to do what you're looking for.

I sold my old 3.5" BPS a few years ago in the price range you are looking at. It was a good gun. Never gave me a bit of trouble, and I shot it a LOT.

I will say this, some of the hot-n-heavy waterfowl and turkey loads are freaking brutal to shoot out of a pump. The guns don't weigh much and have almost no recoil protection except a rubber butt pad, and the trend in waterfowl and turkey loads is heavier + faster... I went to pattern that BPS with some heavy turkey loads, and only took 2 shots before I decided the gun was lethal at both ends. :laugh: It's no issue with normal loads, but you're asking about a 3.5" gun presumably to shoot the big stuff.

I have an 870 Express that I only use for turkeys and carry on trips as a backup. 3" mag Turkey loads come in boxes of 10 rounds. 2 rounds for patterning. Leaving 8 turkeys I can shoot before needing to buy another box and go through patterning again. OH! If I never have to shoot a mag load at a target again! Call me a whimp, but if I was going to shoot mag loads more than once or twice I'd go with an autoloader to absorb the recoil. I can't imagine the torture of a 3.5" mag in a light pump gun.

I shot one turkey that had come straight in, then circled around me. I shot it sitting with my back to a tree, it circled left and I leaned around the tree to shoot it. The next morning I woke up to a sore shoulder. At first, as I'm rolling my arm around trying to get out the kinks, I wondered what the heck I could have done. Then I realized I had shot that turkey in an odd position.

The Benelli SuperNova would be my choice based on value - reasonable price point, reliability- see brand, and versatility - 2.75 - 3.5 inch capability.

I have owned every shotgun out there both pumps and auto loaders. As far as pumps go, the Benelli Super Nova was the worst feeling gun ever as far as pumps go. The old Wingmasters and BPS are top notch. However the best pump gun made is the both the old and new Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight. Can't believe you all have not mentioned the Ithaca. Got my first one in the mid 70's.

http://www.ithacagun.com/featherlight.php

Last edited:
Back