New Montana resident looking for suggestions.

Browningblaster

After living in Washington state and pheasant hunting there for nearly 50 years, I have recently moved to Western Montana. I’ve never hunted upland birds in Montana, so I am looking for suggestions. I don’t pay to hunt. I would rather walk 8 miles for one bird, than step out of a lodge and shoot a limit. I’m looking for suggestions on where to hunt. Which part of the state is better for public hunting? should I be concentrating on central Montana near Lewistown or should I go all the way to the north east area and hunt around Plentywood? I really don’t know anything about upland bird hunting in the state, so I am starting my research early for next season. I would appreciate any information. Thank you!

After living in Washington state and pheasant hunting there for nearly 50 years, I have recently moved to Western Montana. I’ve never hunted upland birds in Montana, so I am looking for suggestions. I don’t pay to hunt. I would rather walk 8 miles for one bird, than step out of a lodge and shoot a limit. I’m looking for suggestions on where to hunt. Which part of the state is better for public hunting? should I be concentrating on central Montana near Lewistown or should I go all the way to the north east area and hunt around Plentywood? I really don’t know anything about upland bird hunting in the state, so I am starting my research early for next season. I would appreciate any information. Thank you!
Washington is not great hunting imo.

Back