New Hunter in Eastern Iowa

kanstiss

Hello All,

I am a fairly new pheasant hunter in Davenport Iowa. We just went to Beckridge Hunting Preserve to try my dog out since she has never been hunted before. She did great, she flushed 6 birds for us and we seen 8. I am wanting to do some hunting on the east side of the state and would like to take a trip to northwest Iowa. Does any one have anything to say about the east side of the state or even in the Dubuque area?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome

Welcome to the site and all there is to offer here!:) You will find the site to be full of great people and advice/suggestions when called upon.

As for the eastern portion of the state I will share that in the 60"s and 70's you could not find better hunting than in this area. Today, I would not plan or hunt the first two to three counties all along the river on the east side. Bird numbers are just too low and the areas that may contain decent numbers are already spoken for.

Venture out west of Cedar Rapids. You may not like the travel time but you and your dog will be rewarded with decent numbers and training opportunities on birds.

Thank you. Is the Hawkeye Wildlife area worth a trip? I realize there is thousands of acres out there. Also the Iowa river Corridor I was thinking of hitting up. The drive wouldn't be too bad, as long as my dog can get on some birds to get more exposure I wouldn't mind the drive at all.

I would focus on smaller areas. Do you have an Iowa public hunting lands book? If not, please pick one up at Wal-Mart etc or borrow one. It is well worth the $$$ and I wouldn't leave home without it. Also, knock on a door or two if you see a smaller tract of cover or a slough or two in a field that looks freshly picked.

You will find Iowa and its people very friendly and understanding to a new hunter. Use that in your introduction and make sure to thank them. Good hunting!:):)

Thank you, we will look at some of the smaller plots of upland area. Myself and an out of state hunter would like to get as much field time as we can this year. My hunting buddy is from Illinois and already got his NR license/stamp. We would like an area where we can drive early and hunt a few plots that day then drive back. Later in the season, we hope to go to Clay and Dickinson County area and spend two full days up there on the small plots up there.

Back