New here...

Boostedxt

Hey everyone. I am new to this forum and I want to introduce myself to some colorado folk. I am going to try and get my first bird here in the next few weekends as I have never pheasant hunted before. My buddy has a black lab I have been working on and plan on taking him with me. He stays well with in range and loves this kind of thing so I am hoping it goes well. I have full access to 1000 acres in brush colorado that was once farmed for corn and wheat.

anyways...my name is Joe, the dogs name is Blue, and any advice you guys want to give would be great!

Joe

Welcome Joe! Thats sounds like a sweet tract of land. I hunted yesterday near Brush and saw a few birds out of range and that was it. Good luck with your buddies lab, how old is he?

The dog is 4 years old and I am excited...the land is a good friends land and its about 1000 acres. beyond that I have about 1000 more acres from clients south east, and north east...a few options!

joe

Hey Joe,
Let me know if you are looking for some others to join you. My boys (12 & 15) go out by Brush fairly often, and would love to have some hunting buddies!

Scott

will do! I am planning on going on fridays as saturday is the only day my fiance and I have together. i work sunday - thursday.

when do you go?

joe

Welcome to UPH Joe, When you get time post up in "Introductions". That will let all the guys welcome you.......Bob

Welcome Joe, You'll learn a lot on this site.

1000 acres; wow! You're just beggin for a bunch of new best friends to join you. :D

Is it just me, or are there a ton of new rookies on the sight. I feel like we're being pushed out by the new guys. :eek:

all the acres together total about 2450..lol...and its a combination of corn and wheat which from what i have read is really good!

rookies and a site groing is good. new blood, fresh thoughs, more traffic and post turn around. you old farts cant go anywhere...us n00bs need help...;)

joe

Hey BoostedXT
I'm also new to the UPH site so welcome from another newbie (to the site, not to the earth). I'm currently hunting with my labs-No. 4 & 5-and they have all hunted well, just some weller than others. It usually happens in direct proportion to how often they get out, how many birds they get into, and how they are introduced to the sport. Good instincts and hunting backgrounds really help, too. And, you can always enlist some professional training. I'm not sure of what you have done with your friends lab in the way of hunting training, but please do some noise acclimation before heading out to the field. Labs do not usually show gun-shyness but it certainly happens and is easily avoided if you gradually work them into the noise. It can also help a lot if your lab can hunt with other flushing dogs-labs, goldens, springers-to help get the hang of it. It has helped my limited training skills a lot to have my pups hunt with my older dogs and follow them around while they figure out what's going on. It is really fun when your dog brings back the first bird--and expect he/she will not be real anxious to give it back to you. That's part of the training program, too. Good luck and drop me a PM if you're looking for any partners-your black lab can join my pup Logan while following my veteran Cody around the field. I've also got schedule flexibility during the week.

will do! I am planning on going on fridays as saturday is the only day my fiance and I have together. i work sunday - thursday.

when do you go?

joe

Typically work Mon-Fri and the kids are in school. How about Friday after Thanksgiving, you going out?

I will not be going out the day after thanksgiving. i will be relaxing with my fiancee....:)

I was just talking to another one of ym clients and now I have full access too 18,000 acres of his land...yes 18,000...lol. He said tons of deer and turkey but no pheasant..

joe

I will not be going out the day after thanksgiving. i will be relaxing with my fiancee....:)

I was just talking to another one of ym clients and now I have full access too 18,000 acres of his land...yes 18,000...lol. He said tons of deer and turkey but no pheasant..

joe

Boostedxt! Joe! What is up buddy! Long time no see! Man what you been up to? Boy, we have got to get caught up and get out to do some hunting one of these days!!!:D

:rolleyes::p Man what a lucky guy! I sure loves to hunt for me some gobblers and venison!

Last edited:
Boostedxt! Joe! What is up buddy! Long time no see! Man what you been up to? Boy, we have got to get caught up and get out to do some hunting one of these days!!!:D

:rolleyes::p Man what a lucky guy! I sure loves to hunt for me some gobblers and venison!

as the time gets closer I will ask him if I can bring someone with me..if he says yes you are more than welcome to come. he said they have a ton of geese and said anytime I want to go blast some its no problem. apparently they have 3 lakes...and I am sure I could use some help there....:)

joe

Wow, that would be very cool! Really, thanks for keeping that in mind:thumbsup: I have few dozen deeks and a new pup that is also a waterdog!

no problem man! Hunting is not just about the prize at the end of the barrel. Lots of good friends and great experiences can be had. I am all for going out together.:)

joe

Back