New dog, looking for resources

DanO

Gentleman

I have not pheasant hunted with a dog sense I was a boy but just recently got myself a puppy. She is 13 weeks old and we are working hard to master the basic obedience commands. What I am curious is about is when I should start to introduce gun and bird training.

There seems to be a lot of material out there but I am a little unclear on what to follow. Some articles and videos show different techniques making it more confusing.

My question is, when should I start with her and what resources do you feel are the best?

Thanks.

DO.

I've found anything by Evan Graham to be very helpful and easy to use for the dog training "beginner." You can Google him and find all of his stuff and can pick them up for a pretty good deal on Amazon or directly from his site. He has a "Smartworks for Puppies" that may be right up your alley.

Good Luck!

It might help if we knew what kind of dog you have. Search training for your particular breed and see what you come up with.

There is no substitute for live birds when training. I don't think they can be too young if match their attention span with what you are trying to accomplish. As far as gunfire goes work up to it slowly. Lots of folks believe gun shy dogs are made not born.

good luck

I believe in bird work and retrieving as soon as a pup can negotiate a close mowed field. Easier to control, natural hesitation at flush, that can be developed, birds fly out of site line quickly, limiting chasing. All good, when they are consumed with this game, a few shots, some thrown birds to retrieve, and your on your way. Hard to screw up after that start.

You can break her to gun right now the sooner the better. Take her on some field runs when she gets out a good distance shoot a 22 blank from a race starters gun. Don't let the dog see the gun. The dog will most likely come back to you after the shot. ABOVE ALL: Do not say or do anything. Ignore her completely. Just keep walking. Do that about 3 times each day, for a series of days. When the dog does not stop, just keeps on running. It has learned you are home free.........Bob

I like a little wing on a string- see what kind of interest-

a few times and then I'll jerk the wing away I shoot the 22 pistol

I also like another adult arround
IMG_0002-9.jpg

Oh My, that pup is sure pointing pretty. I love that picture. Thank you Shadow........Bob

thank you Bob- 8 weeks- 3rd wing on a string- doesn't mean much- but heck- adults- the look says it all- you did say you like Britt's on point:)

The adults know it is training for the pup and could care less. But The pup you can tell has a nose full of scent and enjoying it. That tail up in the air is saying he is intense. Beautiful pointing form for a yound pup.......Bob

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. She is a labradoodle. From what I read here most are keen on Brittanies and Lab Retrievers but she comes from a hunting line and I am not worried about her instincts, more worried about my teaching ability.

I will be at my cabin this weekend and attempt some of the suggestions.

Thanks.

I am by no means an expert in dog training. Have only done my two labs. But I am a firm believer in volume of birds. Expose them to has many birds as possible. Both my pups were out "hunting" at less 6 months. It seems to have helped them catch on to game. Some might say that is two young but it worked for me. I suppose that working on the retrieving thing would be good also but most labs have that part figured out.

Ken why don't you post that article. We all would to read it.........Bob

Last edited:
The adults know it is training for the pup and could care less. But The pup you can tell has a nose full of scent and enjoying it. That tail up in the air is saying he is intense. Beautiful pointing form for a yound pup.......Bob

He does not have a nose full of scent. He is sight pointing. Still very nice.

I'm not so sure about the sight point. His eyes look closed, it could be he is looking down. But in Brittany's with the head held that high, that means scent pointing as a rule. I have had Brits for over 45 years, so I do know the diffence in their pointing styles.......Bob

Last edited:
Shadow, looking at that pup point, I have this question. His/Her pointing style suggests LOBO's Bloodline in the Pedigree. Am I right? Just a point of curiosity........Bob

He does not have a nose full of scent. He is sight pointing. Still very nice.

you wouldn't want to bet money- pup was running all over the yard- had the two older WHOA-

called him in- he slid- sight/scent- drag a wing on a string thru the grass-

but heck- this little guy was on his way to Michigan- I wanted a picture to send because the fella paid $840.00

Back