New DNR roadside counts

Here's the first detail paragraph of the 2014 pheasant count report:

The average number of pheasants observed (28.7 birds/100 mi) increased 6% from 2013 but remained 58% below the 10-year average (Table 2; Figure 3A), 71% below the long-term average, and 89% below the benchmark years of 1955-64. The pheasant population has steadily declined since the mid-2000s in conjunction with the loss of CRP acres (Figure 2), and pheasant indices over the past 4 years are comparable to the indices calculated in the mid-1980s (Figure 3A). Total pheasants observed per 100 mi ranged from 10.4 in the Southeast region to 62.1 in the Southwest (Table 3). The pheasant roadside index increased in the three southern regions (Southwest, 22%; South Central, 17%, and Southeast, 40%), but decreased slightly in the West Central (-5%) and Central regions (-1%; Table 3). The most substantial decrease occurred in the East Central region (-33%; Table 3).

Last edited:
Without looking at the data closer, I would say those increases and losses can be directly corilated to where the heaviest snowfall was.I know parts of the SW and counties bordering SD did not receive the snow the eastern 2/3'RDS of the Phez range did.

honestly, these numbers dont mean much. If you were going to get out there anyway - all these numbers do is set you up for disappointment.

JUST GO HUNT !

They did not go down so that good. I had a pretty good year last year so if the numbers are the same or maybe just a little better than that works for me. Hope we get 2 years with some great weather conditions both winter and spring.

Too bad with the bad spring and huge rainfall in early June. One of these years, we will get the big broods. I will still be out chasing them with my four legged friends.

They did not go down so that good. I had a pretty good year last year so if the numbers are the same or maybe just a little better than that works for me. Hope we get 2 years with some great weather conditions both winter and spring.

Ditto, I had a pretty good 2013. I like to hunt, so I keep going until I get my limit or it gets dark. One thing to keep in mind is the re-nesting that has almost certainly been going on in certain areas. We've got 60 acres of wetland restoration in West Central and two weeks ago I was still seeing young birds. I have to believe the true numbers are better than what's being reported. The DNR as much as admitted that was the case last year.

Ditto, I had a pretty good 2013. I like to hunt, so I keep going until I get my limit or it gets dark. One thing to keep in mind is the re-nesting that has almost certainly been going on in certain areas. We've got 60 acres of wetland restoration in West Central and two weeks ago I was still seeing young birds. I have to believe the true numbers are better than what's being reported. The DNR as much as admitted that was the case last year.

Welcome to the site:cheers:

Thanks, haven't posted much obviously but have enjoyed reading other's posts.

MNSpaniels, you need to go to the Introductions forum and introduce yourself to the site. Tells us where you live, about your dogs and guns, etc. Welcome aboard!

Back