New CRP Acres Available for South Dakota

UGUIDE

SOUTH DAKOTA RECEIVES NEW ACRES OF SAFE CRP

PIERRE, S.D.- The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) recently received notification from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) that an additional allocation of State Acres for Wildlife Enhancement (SAFE) Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) would be open for enrollment to landowners across the state.

The Pheasant SAFE received 25,000 acres and the West River Grassland Nesting Birds SAFE received 15,000 acres. Both the Pheasant SAFE and West River Grassland Nesting Birds SAFE create nesting habitat for pheasants, grouse and a multitude of grassland song birds.

USDA also recently allocated 30,000 acres of the Duck Nesting Habitat CRP to South Dakota. These acres can only be enrolled in eastern South Dakota in areas with 25 pairs or more of nesting waterfowl per square mile. The Duck Nesting Habitat CRP allows up to 10 acres of upland per acre of eligible wetland to be enrolled. This allowance creates nesting and concealment habitat for variety of ground nesting birds.

Basic eligibility requirements for both SAFE CRP and the Duck Nesting Habitat CRP include: land offered must have a crop history of four out of six years between 2008 and 2013; land must be compliant with USDA?s highly erodible land and wetland compliance provisions; and the applicant must have owned or operated the land for more than 12 months.

Previous SAFE acres available have been enrolled quickly and interested landowners are encouraged to contact their local Farm Service Agency to sign up. SAFE acres are enrolled on a continuous first come, first-served basis as long as the land being offered is eligible. If you have questions about these CRP enrollment options or others, visit http://habitat.sd.gov/advisors/default.aspx and contact a habitat advisor near you or your local Farm Service Agency.

Much needed given how little acreage has been accepted in SD recently during the general sign up period. Should put SAFE acreage over 100K.

Hope they can focus on nesting and brood rearing cover. Feels like since most of the big block CRP has expired the balance has tipped too far towards winter cover and escape cover.

So the $50/acre is a one time payment? Will that and the $5 annual walk-in payment be enough to generate significant participation?

Certainly hope it does. A boost in good nesting and brood rearing cover seems to be a big area of need right now in the parts of the pheasant range I hunt.

Would be great if they would offer some dollars to upgrade habitat in the James river CREP parcels too. Much to high percentage of that acreage includes wetland borders that are rank & aged cool season grass cover.

Just for reference, and it is not apples to apples, pheasant hunting here generates about $25 per acre gross sales yearly. That is every acre on the place, pasture, cropland, hay land, everything.

So the $50/acre is a one time payment? Will that and the $5 annual walk-in payment be enough to generate significant participation?

DTB, I assumed the $50 was a pop on the annual rent. Mainly because that is what was required to open lands on Jim River CREP.

Many farmers will not re-enroll their CRP when expiring because they need to re-establish their cover and there may or may not be any cost share.

To put is the kind of mix GFP is asking for could be $100/acre in seed and labor. Then you look at the open access requirement on top of that and one $50/acre payment does not go too far.(or is not very attractive as an incentive).

DTB, I assumed the $50 was a pop on the annual rent. Mainly because that is what was required to open lands on Jim River CREP.

Many farmers will not re-enroll their CRP when expiring because they need to re-establish their cover and there may or may not be any cost share.

To put is the kind of mix GFP is asking for could be $100/acre in seed and labor. Then you look at the open access requirement on top of that and one $50/acre payment does not go too far.(or is not very attractive as an incentive).

Another $50 per year should generate some real interest. Good deal for all stakeholders. Thanks for the follow-up.

Another $50 per year should generate some real interest. Good deal for all stakeholders. Thanks for the follow-up.

I think that the 83,000 acre Jim River CREP Program is the best open access program to private lands I have ever seen. I would have killed to hunt ground like that in my Iowa days.

I am afraid that the article I posted was FAKE NEWS!! My PF source told me that release was 15 years old! There is no date or author on the article.

The way the article was written and the citing of 2007 reference seemed to make it current. If there was a general sign up it would have been announced bigly on the PF Newsroom site.

Back