Neoprene Vest for pointers?

GustavDaGSP

So its starting to get colder My 7yr. old lab loves this weather but what about pointers my 2yr. old gsp has no body fat does anybody put a vest on thier pointer?

I run a neoprene on my springers when it gets really cold. I didn't have it on them last weekend and the dogs ended up in the water alot. They both got so cold that they wouldn't move.

I know guys use these alot for duck dogs. But I wonder how they would hold up for a upland dog? (burrs and Thorns)
Let me know if you get one. I've thought of the idea before also.

I run a neoprene on my springers when it gets really cold. I didn't have it on them last weekend and the dogs ended up in the water alot. They both got so cold that they wouldn't move.
That happened to mine one year, got wet around freezing temps, I put on one of these, can't find them anymore. They didn't hold up a full season, trees and prickers rip at the Velcro, seems they were only about $22.00.

warm.jpg

Most of those vests do not fit a running dog very well. I have seen them rubbed raw right in front of the sheath a few times,and around the under arms, Don't hesitate to make alterations, with scissors, to suit, BEFORE, they cause problems.

A buddy of mine uses a vest he bought from Howling Dog Alaska under the neoprene vest.
It was designed for the sled dogs to prevent rubbing from their harness, but it has worked well with his pointers.

He has been using this for a few years with success.

I have a Cabelas neoprene vest with the armor-flex chest protector.
I haven't noticed to much rubbing yet, but the vest is a little big on my dog.
I purchsed it for a Lab & now I have a wirehair.

I hope this helps.

I run a neoprene vest on Murry. He is a 70 pound GSP.

One is a white Avery, the other a reversible camo/orange. I believe I purchased both from Steve Snell at Gun Dog Supply.

So its starting to get colder My 7yr. old lab loves this weather but what about pointers my 2yr. old gsp has no body fat does anybody put a vest on thier pointer?

To be honest I don't think there is any real need for a neoprene vest, I have shorthairs and never use them. As long as their moving/running their body heat will generate enough warmth. but It's when they are not moving or kenneled in the vehicle that they can really be affected by the cold temps, especially if they are wet. I put insulated kennel covers on my crates and close them up when the dogs are put up. I also use a truck cap on my pickup to further prevent wind. Combine all this with good bedding and they do fine.

Last edited:
Going tomorrow its going to be cold enough for me to decide if he needs it or not! He's 55Lbs. on a good day,i am just used to my lab that seems to hunt his hardest when the weather changes for the worst!Thanks for all the input well see how Gus does tomorrow he was just turning one last season so i didnt hunt him vary much once it got cold so i consider this his 1st real full season hunting in sub 30 degree weather!

Going tomorrow its going to be cold enough for me to decide if he needs it or not! He's 55Lbs. on a good day,i am just used to my lab that seems to hunt his hardest when the weather changes for the worst!Thanks for all the input well see how Gus does tomorrow he was just turning one last season so i didnt hunt him vary much once it got cold so i consider this his 1st real full season hunting in sub 30 degree weather!

He'll be fine. Just remember when their hunting hard they need extra calories especially the fat content. Dogs use Fat for fuel, so don't be afraid to increase their nightly rations accordingly with a quality high protein/fat diet. On days when mine are hunting, i'll even add a tin of Sardines (packed in water) to the kibble for added fat and protein. It also makes the whole mix more attractive to a dog that may be too tired to eat.

Oh and as long as I'm on my nutrition lecture :p, don't forget HYDRATION. Very important. I add water to the kibble before feeding.

Last edited:
To be honest I don't think there is any real need for a neoprene vest, I have shorthairs and never use them. As long as their moving/running their body heat will generate enough warmth. but It's when they are not moving or kenneled in the vehicle that they can really be affected by the cold temps, especially if they are wet. I put insulated kennel covers on my crates and close them up when the dogs are put up. I also use a truck cap on my pickup to further prevent wind. Combine all this with good bedding and they do fine.

I don't agree if they get wet and its cold they can get cold and shut down in a hurry. my ES can hunt in snow and below zero all day no problem without a vest, but get soaked and its around freezing, this can happen, ND several years ago cold, windy, and soaked, almost had to carry him back to the truck.
sad sack

tired.jpg

I have hunted GSP and setters before and never thought of a vest. My EP is alot thinner skinned. The cold and wet does not bother him while he's running
it's when we stop put him in the truck to move to a different field. I think I'm going to get a vest just to keep him from getting cold in the first place was my idea.

Thanks Gustav for starting the thread lots of good thoughts that have made my mind up. :cheers:

I have hunted GSP and setters before and never thought of a vest. My EP is alot thinner skinned. The cold and wet does not bother him while he's running
it's when we stop put him in the truck to move to a different field. I think I'm going to get a vest just to keep him from getting cold in the first place was my idea.

Thanks Gustav for starting the thread lots of good thoughts that have made my mind up. :cheers:

Yes I don't even have one now, but my Springer will go in any water no-matter the temp, the other day it was 33 and he was swimming in a creek several times and did seem to start to get cold by quitting time. I would like to get another one just in case, my Setter seems always hot, he doesn't go in water all the time, so I don't know with him.

I have two vests from cabelas with the orange neoprene on the backs. I thought they worked very nicely. They have cross stitching at various locations so that you can modify the holes to fit better without worrying about unraveling. I like them for three reasons, the first is barbwire and briar patches (there are some pretty good size tears that are repairable), two an extra layer of insulation in the winter, and third the extra visibility in the grouse covers is really nice!!

Hunted Sw jackson Co. saturday with "shorthairs4life" birds are starting to flush wild got alot of points from Gus and "shorthairs4life" pup moslty hen's, only if the dogs only pointed Roosters we would he had are limit :D !
Gus ended up being fine with the cold dont think ill worry about getting him a vest he was hunting hard enough to seem like he stayed warm!

My GPS is 5 months and she cant even stand outside 5 mins without her coat (runnings farm and fleet coat) but I purchased a XL Neoprene vest with a handle to pick them out of the water. the salesman said lots of people will cut out the hole bigger when needed. i havent used mine yet bc shes still half way grown. her coat now suits her for outdoor (out of the water) for now. when i get home from walk or training, shes well warm. ive taken her out without her coat (like today for a potty break) and she shivers all the way through. with the coat, she doesnt. so yes Neoprene is a must

Howling dog alaska has been making good vest for sled dogs and will work for GSP. its even featured in the GUN DOG MAGAZINE. im tempted to buy one, but i want to see how the Avery Neoprene vest works out.

If you do want the howling dog alaska, its the Duracoat you want.

http://www.coldspotfeeds.com/product_info.php?products_id=1452

it is NOT a Neoprene vest, but it is waterproof. not sure if it can be submerged into water though.

heres the link to a Avery Neoprene boat vest (it has handles to pick your dog out of the water)

http://www.gundogsupply.com/avery-buck-brush-boaters-neoprene-dog-vest.html

i got the large, i want a snug fit, and i will have to cut the leg hole bigger and chest hole bigger but will fit good. if it doesnt fit, i can buy the XL and sell the one i have to my brother as he has a black lab.

Last edited:
my three cents

I bought 3 neoprene vests from Cabela's 4 years ago. I cut them to fit (1 male 2 female, Vizsla's)rubbing was bad around the pits but after trimming them right,,, no problem now. They are still working great! Tore up yes, Velcro on one a little damaged. But I am happy to say I would rather have the vests tore up then the dogs. I also like the orange vest so I can see the dogs moving in the tall grass.They stay warm with them too. If I get a chance I will put them on a dog a take a pic. Thinking of getting a couple of new ones for next year. Saves the teets since my 2 females have had pups.

Lazlo

Back