Need Birds in SE KS

-Wildcat-

Super Moderator
'Afternoon all. I'm in need of some birds to shoot over the new pup, but am having a hell of a time finding any. Some time ago, one of you nice gentlemen told me about a guy that regularly has birds this way. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

Go to Southeast Kansas and Joplin Craigslist, then farm and garden. Type in quail. It brought up several options, depending on where exactly you'd want to drive. Quail/Pheasant/Chukar.

Go to Southeast Kansas and Joplin Craigslist, then farm and garden. Type in quail. It brought up several options, depending on where exactly you'd want to drive. Quail/Pheasant/Chukar.

Weird Cheesy... I did that earlier and no hits.

Troutman, I'm in Louisburg.

Glenloch game birds in Garnett.

I'll have to see if that's the same guy my buddy knows...

I know, Louisburg isn't quite exactly SE KS, but you have to go through hell (town) to get to anyone with birds in the North :D

Found some quail from a guy between Ottawa and Osawatamie. They flew pretty well (about as good as pen raised birds do). The pup did really well for her first time out. She's still very much a pup, but held a few points. Doesn't give a damn about the gun (had already introduced her to that). I'm going to be broke as hell buying all these birds, but already looking forward to next weekend!

Last edited:
Your within 20 minutes of Doug's kennels. Guarantee you he has birds and can direct you to the right place. You might also check with Mark Kelsic right there in Louisburg. The dog trainers are your best bet and you have 2 good ones right there.

Your within 20 minutes of Doug's kennels. Guarantee you he has birds and can direct you to the right place. You might also check with Mark Kelsic right there in Louisburg. The dog trainers are your best bet and you have 2 good ones right there.

Never heard of Mark Kelsic. Would you happen to have any contact information for him?

Check Baiers Den Kennels just across the state line from you, between Peculiar and Freeman. Wayne Baier (816)210-1485 or (816)779-5234. Tell him Sean Mizell gave you his #. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

I am supposed to be able to get quail out of ottawa in a couple weeks. I live 15 miles from louisburg. I have kicked up quite a few wild quail locally and would say pheasa t numbers being poor out west I am very happy to see quail doing well close to home. We have been training pups in harveyville as well as Ed Davis game birds up north of ks.

I am supposed to be able to get quail out of ottawa in a couple weeks. I live 15 miles from louisburg. I have kicked up quite a few wild quail locally and would say pheasa t numbers being poor out west I am very happy to see quail doing well close to home. We have been training pups in harveyville as well as Ed Davis game birds up north of ks.

Sweet... so you're somewhat close. I'm training a gsp pup. I bought a dozen quail from a young guy named Jason that lives between Ottawa and Osawatomie. They flew pretty well. He said he has more on the way (only had about 50 or so left when I dropped in).

I've been hearing good covey counts this year... maybe I won't put as many miles on the truck!

This is true, but the farm is a little better than an hour south... pretty much puts me smack in the middle.

Hoping to place some calls tonight and score some quail or chukar for another weekend running the pup.

As a reminder, it is illegal to shoot liberated quail outside the legal season unless you have a professional dog training license or controlled shooting area permit. The "quail" season is indiscriminate of pen-reared or wild! FYI.

Back