ND - End Of January 2024

gjw

Hey all, well here we are 1-31-24 and 55 above zero. Just a week or so ago it was minus 26 (and that's not windchill).

We've had a real mild winter and hoping it will continue.

This bodes very well for the birds. No real winter kills, even with the ice storm we got. Been seeing quite a few. If the spring holds and the summer is good, we should have a great season next year. Fingers crossed!

Here's a picture of what we have for snow cover.

Best,

Greg

20240131_160957.jpg

hard to believe here on the IL/WI state line we have more snow on the ground than you do. Hope the worst of winter is behind you but as we all know pheasants dont die off with a bit of snow or moisture. The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

....a winter drought...the best time to have one! We are quicking losing our snow in Iowa. Sioux City had almost 2 feet so far this year...well, that was in January when it was 24°below, plus wind, not optimal for the birds. I was glad the food plots still had grain in them. I havent walked out to see what the traffic in the plots looks like, but they sure weren't coming around the roads, no tracks seen when I walked out 100 yards or so. Looks like if things continue you will have a bumper crop next season.

The winter snow and blows are the thing that kills off our pheasants, they seem to be able to raise a few chicks most hot/drysprings (cold and wet springs would be worse, but we haven't seen those conditions recently). We might not have the vast patches of cattails (heavy winter cover) to preserve them here that the Dakotas and MN enjoy.

Hey all, well here we are 1-31-24 and 55 above zero. Just a week or so ago it was minus 26 (and that's not windchill).

We've had a real mild winter and hoping it will continue.

This bodes very well for the birds. No real winter kills, even with the ice storm we got. Been seeing quite a few. If the spring holds and the summer is good, we should have a great season next year. Fingers crossed!

Here's a picture of what we have for snow cover.

Best,

Greg

20240131_160957.jpg

Still mild Greg?

Hey all, short answer.....yep.

It's snowing right now, that big flake type. High today upper 40's. Should be gone by afternoon.

High tomorrow 60

Then cold for a couple days and back to the 40's

Guess we'll see what March has to offer.

Best Regards

Greg

Hey all, short answer.....yep.

It's snowing right now, that big flake type. High today upper 40's. Should be gone by afternoon.

High tomorrow 60

Then cold for a couple days and back to the 40's

Guess we'll see what March has to offer.

Best Regards

Greg
Well how's March? I suspect the moisture is welcomed by all, but hope it isn't too nasty.

Most of ND isn't supposed to get a huge amount from this storm - 5-10" south of I94. Looks like the eastern half of SD is due to get 12+. The moisture will definitely outweigh any negatives in the bird world.

Reactions: gjw
I live south of Mandan about 14 miles. All we've gotten is light flurries and some wind. Not bad so far. Looks like the big storm missed us.

Stay well my friends

Greg

Back