My opener

TexasPHEZHunter

Just got back from my 7th opener. Hunted West River for the first 4 days. 5 Guys, 8 dogs. Some dogs very seasoned. We did well. Numbers were great, Pheasants, Sharpies and Huns were up too. Averaged 4 coveys of Huns a day.

We killed our pheasant limit each day. Had to work for it some days but overall plenty of opportunity. 2 days we killed our 15 sharptails as welL Monday and Tuesday were nice days with little wind and we were able to get a lot of the sharpies pointed. Lots of young pheasants, more then i have seen. So young almost mistaked a few of them for Huns. Seemed like There was a couple hatches and one being pretty late.

I attribute a lot of our success to hunting/scouting the same areas for the past 6 years. I have been fortunate to make a lot of connections and gain some really nice access. The others hunters i talked to seemed to be doing well as well.

Without doubt South Dakota is my happy place. Ill hunt kansas and Nebraska both later this Year but nothing comes close to SD.

Last edited:
Just got back from my 7th opener. Hunted West River for the first 4 days. 5 Guys, 8 dogs. Some dogs very seasoned. We did well. Numbers were great, Pheasants, Sharpies and Huns were up too. Averaged 4 coveys of Huns a day.

We killed our pheasant limit each day. Had to work for it some days but overall plenty of opportunity. 2 days we killed our 15 sharptails as welL Monday and Tuesday were nice days with little wind and we were able to get a lot of the sharpies pointed. Lots of young pheasants, more then i have seen. So young almost mistaked a few of them for Huns. Seemed like There was a couple hatches and one being pretty late.

I attribute a lot of our success to hunting/scouting the same areas for the past 6 years. I have been fortunate to make a lot of connections and gain some really nice access. The others hunters i talked to seemed to be doing well as well.

Without doubt South Dakota is my happy place. Ill hunt kansas and Nebraska both later this Year but nothing comes close to SD.
KS and NE will be a waste, drought and emergency haying = few birds.

Back