My 2023 season stats

Hard to know exactly the total amount of days you hunted but if Skye hunted all of them and 33 days is the amount of days hunted, I would say you did better than average in total amount of birds taken considering you mainly hunt public land.

The number of days I hunted is what I list as the aggregate total, 34. Skye was with me for all but 1, so 33 days. Many of these days were starting at 9am and hunting till sunset. Some were two hour hunts during the golden hours. One "day" Skye got sick after the first spot, vomiting/coughing up bile, so we went home(upset tummy I guess, no long term issues thankfully). The very last day of my season, last Saturday, Skye was hobbled after the first 30 minutes, sore joint in left shoulder I believe. So even though she mainly sat in the truck, I still count that as a day. In regards to these stats, day could probably be interchanged with the word trip, whereas trip means going afield for a period of one day or less. 20240112_011456.jpg

Hard to know exactly the total amount of days you hunted but if Skye hunted all of them and 33 days is the amount of days hunted, I would say you did better than average in total amount of birds taken considering you mainly hunt public land. I really enjoy Goldens shotcam videos that he inserts in his videos. I think that would be a great tool to have to better understand hits and misses.
Yes but imo he needs a Browning a5 made in the 50s.That would add honor to his excellent videos.

Yes but imo he needs a Browning a5 made in the 50s.That would add honor to his excellent videos.
While I do appreciate Mr Browning’s amazing work, I think Golden Hour is just fine with his camo gun. You do have to understand that is as labrador owners, we like the simple things in life. An ugly gun, a stinky lab and a pocket full of #5 shells gives us a smile. If we were to start considering toting vintage firearms, we would then next consider purchase Orvis clothing, drinking craft beers and looking at 28 gauges on the gun racks. Heck, were would we stoop to next? None of us would want to see Sage get bumped for some fancy pointing breed!

While I do appreciate Mr Browning’s amazing work, I think Golden Hour is just fine with his camo gun. You do have to understand that is as labrador owners, we like the simple things in life. An ugly gun, a stinky lab and a pocket full of #5 shells gives us a smile. If we were to start considering toting vintage firearms, we would then next consider purchase Orvis clothing, drinking craft beers and looking at 28 gauges on the gun racks. Heck, were would we stoop to next? None of us would want to see Sage get bumped for some fancy pointing breed!
We could move to encinitas California and buy some Gucci bmw.

We are soon going to see goldan hour driving a land rover, with a surf board.

It is nice seeing someone post an accurate total to give perspective to others. I saved the longest tail feather from each pheasant I shot this year. Right now I am sitting on 14 with two roosters that were dropped and lost. All wild, public land birds in Washington state. I have made it out 33 times this year and will go out tomorrow morning for the 34th trip, and hopefully add a couple to the total.

Not all of those trips target areas that hold pheasants though. At least 3 trips were for forest grouse. At least three targeting huns, and several trips that were primarily targeting quail. I could of added a 2-3 more pheasants to the total, but I am training a new to me dog and was only shooting points over her and consequently had to pass on some shots on nice pheasants. Also could of added an untold number if I had hunted Dog 1 more and Dog 2 less. I also track miles for myself and my dogs. The average per trips stands at: Dog 1: 13.35 miles, Dog 2: 15.37 miles, me: 5.4 miles.

Last edited:
Back