My 2023 season stats

Bob Peters

I had to work late tonight, I've been home for a bit and all I can think is I can't believe pheasant season is over and I wish like crazy I could go and walk a slough with a good bird dog on Saturday or Sunday. This wonderful sport has gotten in my blood like I never could have imagined. If I was a top notch hunter, I wouldn't post this. A lot of guys hunt more than I do and shoot more birds. A lot of guys hunt less than I do and shoot more birds. I guess the reason to post this is some people might find it interesting, and more important still, if there's someone who is new to pheasant hunting maybe it'll give them encouragement somehow? I think of pheasants every day of the year. Every time I ever see a pheasant I get excited. Even on a day when I never see a rooster, it always warms my heart to see a hen or two. I see myself as an intermediate hunter, who honestly got into this way of life by complete and total accident, and for that I will forever be grateful. I could go on and on as you know, but here's the numbers.

Days hunted aggregate-34
Minnesota-25
Iowa-9

Days hunted with Skye field bred golden retriever(she just turned 8 this week) 33 ❤️
Days hunted with Roxy field bred golden retriever (2 years) 28❤️
I also hunted two days with my buddy and his 1 year old brittany named Tracy, she is just having the lightbulb turn on, so much fun.

Total pheasants bagged 30
Minnesota-17
Iowa-13
Of the 30 birds bagged, 27 were on public land and 3 on private.

*an additional 3 birds added to legal take on account of Skye catching cripples, which has never happened until this year, so 33 total birds.

Misses 22
-some were easy shots I whiffed, some difficult but in range shots, these would be too time consuming to list individually and probably only of interest to the author of the pheasant journal referenced, aka me

Lost birds- these are tough to quantify, what is the definition of a lost bird? Here I will list birds that were shot and hit the ground, as I take detailed notes on every hunt, I will add a separate post with additional circumstances surrounding each bird. 8 lost birds on the year.

You can go ahead and beat me up on the misses and lost birds, I can handle it.

For a very short bio/background, I did not grow up hunting. My dad never took me, and I have no hunters in my family. I essentially had to learn shotgunning, dog work, wild game habits and hunting on my own. I live in the twin cities suburbs, so have never been able to hunt out my back door, so to speak. My first year pheasant hunting, I never got a pheasant. The process took a while, I essentially had to take Skye out, she had to learn from the birds, and in turn taught me. There was a lot of trial and error, as I didn't know good pheasant habitat from Adam.

Oh, let me say just a little on the dogs before you lose interest in the length of this post. I often read about guys that grew up and got a dog in their youth that they never forget. I love that. For me, that is Skye. I'm 43 now and she taught me how to hunt in my late 30s. She is not professionally trained, and although I am forever intrigued and learn everything I can about dogs, I am no great dog trainer nor handler. She is not perfect. She gets excited at times and flushes birds out of range. She is a great retriever, she will never drop or tear up a bird. That said she likes to bring back and show off the birds. I often have to tell her to drop multiple times before she gives up the rooster. Any faults she has, are more to do with me than anything, and I take full responsibility. I couldn't love her any more than I do.

Roxy, she has great athleticism and smell. She doesn't hunt as continuously as Skye at this point. If she does scent a bird, she will run him up however long it takes to flush him. She is young and kind and full of energy. She loves people and hunting. Again, any faults she has, I take responsibility for.

I am just an average weekend Joe, who hunts with dogs that aren't perfect, but are perfect for me. I keep a journal to learn from my successes and failures. And perhaps more importantly to remember the great times afield I've had with good dogs and good friends in beautiful places.

I've read about every book on pheasant hunting and shotgun shooting I can get my hands on. This site is a great one for learning from those with more experience than I. Thanks to everyone who has provided answers to my questions or given good feedback, it has always been greatly appreciated. If you are still hunting enjoy every day of it! If not, look back and and cherish those memories made afield this year. Either way please give your dog a scratch behind the ear for me.

~Bob

I had to work late tonight, I've been home for a bit and all I can think is I can't believe pheasant season is over and I wish like crazy I could go and walk a slough with a good bird dog on Saturday or Sunday. This wonderful sport has gotten in my blood like I never could have imagined. If I was a top notch hunter, I wouldn't post this. A lot of guys hunt more than I do and shoot more birds. A lot of guys hunt less than I do and shoot more birds. I guess the reason to post this is some people might find it interesting, and more important still, if there's someone who is new to pheasant hunting maybe it'll give them encouragement somehow? I think of pheasants every day of the year. Every time I ever see a pheasant I get excited. Even on a day when I never see a rooster, it always warms my heart to see a hen or two. I see myself as an intermediate hunter, who honestly got into this way of life by complete and total accident, and for that I will forever be grateful. I could go on and on as you know, but here's the numbers.

Days hunted aggregate-34
Minnesota-25
Iowa-9

Days hunted with Skye field bred golden retriever(she just turned 8 this week) 33 ❤️
I also hunted two days with my buddy and his 1 year old brittany named Tracy, she is just having the lightbulb turn on, so much fun.

Minnesota-17
Iowa-13

*an additional 3 birds added to legal take on account of Skye catching cripples, which has never happened until this year, so 33 total birds.

Misses 22
-some were easy shots I whiffed, some difficult but in range shots, these would be too time consuming to list individually and probably only of interest to the author of the pheasant journal referenced, aka me

Lost birds- these are tough to quantify, what is the definition of a lost bird? Here I will list birds that were shot and hit the ground, as I take detailed notes on every hunt, I will add a separate post with additional circumstances surrounding each bird. 8 lost birds on the year.

For a very short bio/background, I did not grow up hunting. My dad never took me, and I have no hunters in my family. I essentially had to learn shotgunning, dog work, wild game habits and hunting on my own. I live in the twin cities suburbs, so have never been able to hunt out my back door, so to speak. My first year pheasant hunting, I never got a pheasant. The process took a while, I essentially had to take Skye out, she had to learn from the birds, and in turn taught me. There was a lot of trial and error, as I didn't know good pheasant habitat from Adam.

Oh, let me say just a little on the dogs before you lose interest in the length of this post. I often read about guys that grew up and got a dog in their youth that they never forget. I love that. For me, that is Skye. I'm 43 now and she taught me how to hunt in my late 30s. She is not professionally trained, and although I am forever intrigued and learn everything I can about dogs, I am no great dog trainer nor handler. She is not perfect. She gets excited at times and flushes birds out of range. She is a great retriever, she will never drop or tear up a bird. That said she likes to bring back and show off the birds. I often have to tell her to drop multiple times before she gives up the rooster. Any faults she has, are more to do with me than anything, and I take full responsibility. I couldn't love her any more than I do.

Roxy, she has great athleticism and smell. She doesn't hunt as continuously as Skye at this point. If she does scent a bird, she will run him up however long it takes to flush him. She is young and kind and full of energy. She loves people and hunting. Again, any faults she has, I take responsibility for.

I am just an average weekend Joe, who hunts with dogs that aren't perfect, but are perfect for me. I keep a journal to learn from my successes and failures. And perhaps more importantly to remember the great times afield I've had with good dogs and good friends in beautiful places.

I've read about every book on pheasant hunting and shotgun shooting I can get my hands on. This site is a great one for learning from those with more experience than I. Thanks to everyone who has provided answers to my questions or given good feedback, it has always been greatly appreciated. If you are still hunting enjoy every day of it! If not, look back and and cherish those memories made afield this year. Either way please give your dog a scratch behind the ear for me.

~Bob
Congrats on the season! You got out a lot, that’s awesome! The more you’re out there, the more birds you’re gonna contact, plain and simple. 👍🍻👏🏻

Days hunted aggregate-34
Minnesota-25
Iowa-9

Minnesota-17
Iowa-13

Misses 22

~Bob
You did well imo. I have family in Minneapolis. I may try western Minnesota this year.

Great report. Enjoyed reading it. I have done a terrible job of keeping track of hunts and details overall. I did buy me a nice leather bound journal with a great pheasant engraving on it that I am committing to writing in next year after every wild bird hunt. Not so much for keeping track of weather and misses but so down the road as my memory fades I can go back and relive those moments again. And who knows maybe 75-100 years from now a relative will come across it and find it enjoyable to read. Plan is to do it by year and by day and see how many years worth fit in to it. Some will be long and some will be short write ups I’m sure. Sort of my New Year’s resolution.

Keeping track of misses is humbling and impressive at the same time. Props for doing that. I only keep accurate track of how many times I went hunting, how many roosters I bagged, and how many cripples I lost. I keep a rough count of how many I saw too, but that is not entirely accurate when a bigger group of birds is flushing. I hunt by myself so I need to keep track of my possession limit in the freezer before I go hunting each time in order to legally bag a daily limit.

Days hunted - 8 (1 to 4 hours in length, all in central MN, between Nov 17 - Jan 1)
Roosters bagged - 16
Cripples - 0
Rough estimate of birds seen: at least a dozen each time, several times between 20-30, and one time about 40.

I am trying to think back of any layups that I missed and I cannot recall a single one. There was one rooster on the edge of range I could have had but there weren't any easy gimmes that I missed this season.

I ranked my season as a 7 out of 10. My biggest limiting factor to hunt is time, weather, and limited access to private land that isn't available until deer firearms season is over. My dog turns 12 next month and she is still in very good health. She did an excellent job this season. I am not sure how many more seasons I have with her but I'll continue to try as long as she is able to go.

For the price I pay of a residential small game license and a pheasant stamp, I feel like I get a bargain out of every season's hunt. I pay $29.50 for this which comes out to a miniscule $3.69 per hunt. I started upland hunting when I was 16, and this was my 25th season.

Great report. Enjoyed reading it. I have done a terrible job of keeping track of hunts and details overall. I did buy me a nice leather bound journal with a great pheasant engraving on it that I am committing to writing in next year after every wild bird hunt. Not so much for keeping track of weather and misses but so down the road as my memory fades I can go back and relive those moments again. And who knows maybe 75-100 years from now a relative will come across it and find it enjoyable to read. Plan is to do it by year and by day and see how many years worth fit in to it. Some will be long and some will be short write ups I’m sure. Sort of my New Year’s resolution.
That is a great idea.

Bob,

I always enjoy your post and coming from someone who tends to have long posts don't ever worry about it, those that are interested will read it, which i feel is most of us and those that don't can move on. I like you always apologize for the lengthy posts but man tough to describe an exiting time in few words. As many have said you had a very good season and your numbers indicate you are doing a great job both hunting and working with your dogs. Continue the great work, the more you are afield the more Skye, Roxy and you will learn about hunting and how to hunt better together.

I have developed an excel spreadsheet to track my hunting adventures. I have one sheet that I record bird contacts for each dog by bird species I hunt, typically grouse, woodcock, pheasant and quail. I record points, flushed and kills then duration of hunt, weather conditions miles covered by me and a description of the hunt or highlights. Each location is recorded, date and hunters. I have been doing this off and on since the late 90's, was on paper before i started on the computer and many years are lost. On another sheet all the data is compiled for season totals and I compute bird contact per hour for each dog and birds per mile. If you are interested in a copy let me know and I can email you one. I'm jealous of those who live in the pheasant states as I'm lucky if I get more than 5 days a year to hunt, this year i hunted 9 days, one solo trip of 4 days and a 5 day trip with my son and his buddy.

Education is one aspect of life that never stops, I've been chasing birds for 45 years and I still learn things from the guys on this forum, from my dogs and every time I'm in the field. I believe with dogs the best learning is bird contacts whether in the summer training or while hunting in the field. When you add a new dog to the mix you start a new learning process with him/her, ready their body language from just being excited to being birdy, etc. You are doing a great job of this! I've never had a perfect dog as defined by a high end field trial dog, their points are very steady most of the time but not always, sometimes they over run their noses and bump birds, they range out at to far at times. But for my style of hunting they are perfect to me. I'm not a perfect hunter either, I'm noisy, I talk to my dogs constantly, use beepers in thick cover when I cant see them, but they find me a lot of birds to shoot. I do expect alot out of my dogs and know each ones flaws, but like you I'm not a professional training and I'm always amazed how they hunt and always happy with them.

Keep doing what you are doing and congrats on a great season!

Most times after a trip I can’t sleep…keep thinking about flushes, shots, hits, misses, dog work, etc…mind going a million miles per hour! 🥳🍺
BB i'm right there with you, i'm like a proud dad with videos wanting to show any and all people, I cant understand why they don't have the same enthusiasm as I when watching the videos.....lol

Hard to know exactly the total amount of days you hunted but if Skye hunted all of them and 33 days is the amount of days hunted, I would say you did better than average in total amount of birds taken considering you mainly hunt public land. I really enjoy Goldens shotcam videos that he inserts in his videos. I think that would be a great tool to have to better understand hits and misses.

Great thread. Thanks "Bob Peters". Part of what interests me so much about pheasant hunting is the continual learning curve. It may become less steep, but it never goes flat. Even after chasing them my entire life, I'm still learning. One thing I've learned is nothing is set in stone when it comes to pheasants. I've said this before, but every time I've thought I might have something figured out, they throw me for a loop. I consider it, obsess over it, maybe even lose sleep over it, but I try to learn from it, & it all gets deposited into the knowledge & experience bank. For next time. I'll REALLY kill 'em next time.😉

That is a fantastic season by all accounts and I enjoy the longer writings as the information is something I find quite interesting. I was surprised to learn your age, as you seem a lot more wise and well mannered than some of us who are also 43, lol.

I started tracking harvest/loss totals, as well as locations, on Sage's second season. Wish I had the first season, but that's alright. Pheasant hunting can be whatever we want it to be. I'm partial to the metaphysical aspect of our obsession, tapping into that sequence on our DNA that compels us to hunt and demands our minds be ever-present and hyper focused on the task at hand, reading the dog (that same dog that is looking back and reading me), anticipating and reacting, with the culmination being that routine task of putting a pheasant into the vest, when everything else about the experience is anything but. Sage and I chase pheasants that are the descendants of the birds I have pursued in years gone by, and the ones my dad hunted, like his father before him. A bird that is smart, tactical and, above all else, possesses a will to live that rivals any species on our planet.

My excitement and passion increase with each passing season, with each passing hunt, knowing that the day will inevitably come when I'm no longer able to engage in what brings my life so much meaning and I'll be relegated to memories and videos that serve as a reminder. Until then, it's game on.

Back