Must Stop Places in Pheasant Country

Thor

Just got back from spending the weekend in eastern SD. Stopped at one of my favorite places in pheasant country, Kones Korner in Castlewood, SD. Pulled up to the pump and stepped out of my truck only to be reminded that they still come out and pump the gas for you. They have been doing it since the 1920's. Took advantage of that service to step inside and look over the gun racks. Good selection of guns, good prices. Didnt buy anything today, but I will sometime. This place feels like pheasant hunting, no other way to describe it. I've been going there for years.

I was wondering what other places people think of as must stop places that epitomize the "pheasant country" feel (restaurants, bars, etc...)?

Thor

I stopped by that place for the first time last fall. Just bought a gatorade but the guys stood there and bs'd with me anyway. Great selection of guns.

On my way to the Happy Hunting Grounds in NW KS I usually stop for a martini and a meal at Meridy's in Russell. Good buffet or order a great steak off the menu. Hunting parties always there during the season. Another gem is the Western Kansas Saloon & Grill in downtown WaKeeney. The six western scene paintings by a local artist are beautiful. Another good place to eat and refresh is the Nutbuster in Draper SD. The best-named place is the Angry Beaver Inn in Oakes ND. The food and drink are very good too.

Last edited:
The Nutbuster in Draper was closed last fall (December) when we stopped...not sure it's permanent.

The Nutbuster in Draper was closed last fall (December) when we stopped...not sure it's permanent.

Tough place to make a go of it.

david0311

Boon's in Hoven--Wonderful owners and great food--(steaks and burgers) worth a detour or a little travel time for supper-:cheers:

We ate at the Silver Spur in Fort Pierre after a recommendation from the inn keeper, the one with the strict "no frying bacon in the room" policy,and it did not disappoint. Good food, cold beer, and lovely waitresses. I'd stop back in there in a heart beat.

Hey Robert...we tried the "Spur" restaurant and it was a good choice. Also," Mad Mary's" in Pierre is excellent; get there early as there's usually a wait. When do you come our way again??

I drive by no less than 50 pizza joints on my way to Chamberlain but stop at Jackies in Pukwana for pizza when I can get the within the time she serves pizza.. Stopped in last week and it was closed. Asked about it at The Busted Nut in Chamberlain and waitress said Jackie had passed away. I hope being closed isn't permanent.

Hey Robert...we tried the "Spur" restaurant and it was a good choice. Also," Mad Mary's" in Pierre is excellent; get there early as there's usually a wait. When do you come our way again??

Sooner rather than later I hope.:thumbsup:

My friends say the Steeple Bar in Oriental is really something to see. An old church converted to a bar. I am looking forward to checking it out. Anyone been there? Another great place for pizza is Ward's Store in Bryant SD.:thumbsup:

Back