Mule Deer/Antelope

Yes, I know this is all about pheasant hunting, but I have gotten so much good info from y'all in the past on bird hunting, dogs, etc that I hoped someone could give some big game info.

Looking at mule deer and possibly antelope in either SD or NE. I like the fact the tags are otc, gives us a little more flexibility in dates vs. putting in for tags right now for other states. Also would give us the chance to explore some new areas. Probably gonna be an archery hunt to avoid crowds and give a better opportunity as we could also take antlerless animals (more interested in the hunt and meat than antlers). I have researched both states and there is plenty of public ground in both. Questions - Time to hunt during the year? Would it be better early or late in year and how does the rut fall up there? How much pressure will there be? Looking at Valentine NWR or the Nebraska Natl Forest area in NE or some of the Grasslands in SD. Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

No comments? Thats ok, doing other work on this as well. Looking like NW NE might be the destination.Should be fun and hope to find some bird hunting while there as well. Once again, thanks for the info on this site.

I am sure I will ask for more bird info soon and hope to get some help then. Thanks,

Chuck

I'll bite, I assume you are talking archery, because unless your a resident, I don't believe you can't buy a rifle tag in Nebraska. Antelope are sparse in Nebraska as compared to say Wyoming or Montana. Most efforts involve a decoy, grunt tube, and setting up by a water hole. Antelope range a great deal due to a limited sagebrush in most of the habitat. Season is in August, lots of heat and lots of rattlers. Why not just go to Wyoming and pick a target out of hundreds rather than hunt for days for a chance at one?

Good spot for deer--Cave Hills in Harding CO. SD both north and south units--big mule deer and in the heart of Antelope country with lots and lots of public land. Unique area with table top mesas, timber on top and prairie below, part of the Custer National Forrest, maps for Custer National Forrest. Campgrond in the north unit. Check out the state of South Dakota Game Fish and Parks website. Also up and down the Missouri River there are tons of public land with lots of deer--tough hunting but Oh the views.:thumbsup: One more the Grand River National Grasslands in north central SD--Camping at Shadehill Lake near Lemmon SD

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. We have been to Wyoming for antelope and had a good hunt (currently purchasing points for WY as well), but you have to apply now and not sure if we can commit during a specific time this fall with all the possible kid/family activities - I dont like to miss ball games and other activities if I can help it. The availability of the permits otc and a fairly long season for deer or antelope is what appeals to me more than anything.

Just looking for something different and feel like SD or NE would make a good trip whether we kill or not, I know we would see some nice country and enjoy the area. Thanks again, Chuck.

Back