moved to brookings

peterpointinglab

I recently moved to brookings and was wondering if anyone could offer me advice as to where I could train my dog and run him. thank you

I recently moved to brookings and was wondering if anyone could offer me advice as to where I could train my dog and run him. thank you

I'm in the same boat having recently moved to Watertown. There are some dog clubs in the Sioux Falls area but nothing elsewhere in the state that I know of. If you find something let me know.

try the walk in area just to the west at volga......always a few birds in there and it's only about 5 minutes out of town. crp, cattails and some treelines also. good luck

Make sure to check w/GFP website as during nesting season, dog training on public or privately owned wia's is illegal,for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Below is what the regulations say about dog training. I've always taken it that from Apr. 15th thru July 31st it was prohibited on all land, public or private, statewide. Not just private WIA's, etc.

Dog Training
No person may kill or capture any wild game
birds while training or running a dog except during
open seasons. Using pen-raised birds to train dogs
is permitted with certain restrictions:
•No person may train dogs on wild game
birds from Apr. 15-July 31 statewide
From Aug. 1 through the Friday preceding the third
Saturday in September, a person may train a dog
for the purpose of locating, pursuing or pointing
wild game birds on publicly-owned land or on public
road rights of way with the following restrictions:
•No more than four dogs may be trained in any
one day. In addition, a person may not use
or carry a shotgun or rifl e during training
•The dog(s) must be owned by the person
conducting the training and not offered for sale
•The owner of the dog may be assisted
in the training if the owner is present
•No motor vehicle, horse or any other
conveyance may be used
•However, a person who otherwise qualifi es
to train dogs on public lands may use a
horse for dog training on public lands until
Noon central time on Fridays, Saturdays,
and Sundays from the fi rst Friday of August
to the fi rst Sunday of September, inclusive,
with authorization of the government
agency that manages the public land.
•For complete rules write to Game,
Fish and Parks Permits; 20641 SD
Hwy 1806; Fort Pierre, SD 57532
•The use of dogs is encouraged for hunting on
federal Waterfowl Production Areas (WPAs).
Dogs are allowed for other recreational
activities only if confi ned to a vehicle,
boat, ice house, or on a leash controlled
by the handler. Dog training and dogs
roaming freely on WPAs are prohibited

We drive through and around Brookings to Arlington where we hunt and noticed on the Highway from Brookings to Volga almost directly across from the University football field are a couple Veterinary clinics-since you'll need a Vet anyway for your Dog, they may know of a dog club or such in the area. Brookings seems like a real nice small city, we stop at the Wally there to get our licenses-good luck.

below is what the regulations say about dog training. I've always taken it that from apr. 15th thru july 31st it was prohibited on all land, public or private, statewide. Not just private wia's, etc.

one of the most confusing pieces of legalese ever written. Basically at navhda, we do whatever we want on private land, released birds. Usually mark any pheasants released with flo tape, do not worry re quail and chukar.

What kind of dog do you have? NAVHDA(POINTERS) HAVE CLUBS IN SIOUX FALLS AND FREEMAN. THERE IS A SHORTHAIR CLUB TOO, AND SOME AKC ACTIVITIES.

one of the most confusing pieces of legalese ever written. Basically at navhda, we do whatever we want on private land, released birds. Usually mark any pheasants released with flo tape, do not worry re quail and chukar.

Pretty simple Buck. No training on "WILD BIRDS" from Apr. 15 - Jul 31. You can use pen raised birds if you use tape, string, thread or a way to identify that it's a pen raised bird when it flushes.

Aren't all the pennies banded? I believe that, along with a bill of sale or statement of origin, along with health certificate is sufficient to prove they are not wild source birds. I have bought and released 1000's of pen raised birds for FDSB and AKC trials, in several venue's and found that to meet the standard. Releasing, say chuckars, in South Dakota, since there is absolutely no reproduction of chuckars in the wild, would alleviate any confusion as well.

I don't think all pen raised birds are banded. Someplace I've read or been told the SD rules for using pen raised pheasants for training. I can't find anything on it right now but if memory services me right the birds need to have some kind of bright colored ribbon or other something similar attached to them. You also need the bill of sale.

FYI, Walk-In areas in SD are not open for training. They are only available for hunting.

This fall I contacted a shooting preserve (locally) for the purposes of training my dog. I simply wanted a place where a dog could raise a few birds. I didn't carry a gun and we usually raised 2-3 pheasants - scratch birds.

I offered $20 for their courtesy, but on subsequent trips did not pay the facility. I did, however, send them a Christmas gift of thanks. I went out 3-4 times this fall.

You might try this approach with local Shooting Preserves in your area.

Good Luck.

This fall I contacted a shooting preserve (locally) for the purposes of training my dog. I simply wanted a place where a dog could raise a few birds. I didn't carry a gun and we usually raised 2-3 pheasants - scratch birds.

I offered $20 for their courtesy, but on subsequent trips did not pay the facility. I did, however, send them a Christmas gift of thanks. I went out 3-4 times this fall.

You might try this approach with local Shooting Preserves in your area.

Good Luck.

Good point,and you might never find a better way to get to know the local landowners than to show-up in the off-season without a shotgun and a bunch of yahoos.

Back