Mountain Lion

Spence

My Brother in Law swears he saw one last night while Deer hunting just south of Ottawa.

He's a pretty die hard deer guy, he called me pretty freaked out. I mean you could hear it in his voice. He also had his little brother out with him in a stand just 40 yrds away. Knowing him as well as I do, he would never leave a hunt early so I'm pretty certin he did see one. He had his uncle come down and pick them up with a Pistol of course, well before dark.

Could you imagine climbing out of the stand in the dark knowing one just may be watching you?? thats nuts.

He is checking his cameras today to see if he possibly got any pictures.

He did

5 years ago just west of Scranton I saw one- word was it had a 75 mile range
your brother-in-law should feel good- they are real secreative creatures

Yeah I've heard plenty of stories from people in Kansas about them, all second hand of course. Nice to have one be this close.

If he happens to have any pictures I'll def post them.

mountain lion

I saw one a couple of years ago in Kiowa County.

I posted that I saw it and expected ya'll to laugh at me.

Apparently I am not the only who has seen one.

I am from Georgia - but I have never seen a UFO.

I've always been convinced they are around, just have yet to see one personally. I wish the Wildlife and Parks would just come out and admit what excatly they know.

1986 at the ranch. One reported within the past year near my place, but no pics on a dozen trail cams(yet).

I've always been convinced they are around, just have yet to see one personally. I wish the Wildlife and Parks would just come out and admit what excatly they know.

don't you know- if there is one in the state- and there aren't any-
should one be found it had to escape from a zoo- or from someone who was raising them without a license- there are no wild cougars in Kansas-

someone shoots one- he goes to prison-

hum- try to get any official anywhere who might just slip up and say a couple were released with collars on arround valley falls some 29 years ago- and one was killed a couple years later

let the war begin

The Arkansas Game and Fish swears we have no wild population of cougars here........I have seen four of them in the outback in my 62 years in this state.
You may take that info for what its worth, but I used to do beaver control work with a man who raised and sold many types of wildlife as pets or whatever. Cougars, wolves, bears, elk, sheep, and deer, you name it. I have bottle fed many baby cougars, and pen fed many a grown cat. I KNOW what they look like.
Last week one of my hunting buds and his son saw one cross the road at about 40 yards distance while driving in from a bow hunt. There is a population of them around, they are just very secretive animals in my experience. I kind of like the idea that they are out there.
BobM

The Arkansas Game and Fish swears we have no wild population of cougars here........I have seen four of them in the outback in my 62 years in this state.
You may take that info for what its worth, but I used to do beaver control work with a man who raised and sold many types of wildlife as pets or whatever. Cougars, wolves, bears, elk, sheep, and deer, you name it. I have bottle fed many baby cougars, and pen fed many a grown cat. I KNOW what they look like.
Last week one of my hunting buds and his son saw one cross the road at about 40 yards distance while driving in from a bow hunt. There is a population of them around, they are just very secretive animals in my experience. I kind of like the idea that they are out there.
BobM

Bob- naaa- those weren't wild- they escaped from the zoo-
like the bear we have living arround here-
has to be killed, tests done, DNA- to tell the city folks it's not wild

oh Bob- these packs of coyotes that come arround a couple times a night, because I see them they aren't wild- probably escaped from the zoo- luckily they aren't federally protected

Last edited:
And remember, more cats see you than you see of cats.

there were no mountain lions in Colorado-

not to many years ago the authorities recomended archers carry a firearm for protection against mountain lions

hey spence when you get out here this year i will take you to where some have been seen and known to hangout

I saw a trail cam picture of a mountain lion stalking a pheasant. I know it was fake because we all know there are no pheasants in Kansas.

I would like to see one again.... from the safety of my truck.

The OP is correct. I WOULD NOT want to see one walk underneath my deer stand knowing I would be stumbling through the woods in the dark back to my truck. I would probably crap my pants before I got two steps from the tree.:laugh:

Dragging a bloody deer through the woods would also be low on my list of priorities after a lion sighting. :)

I'm glad we got another mountain lion thread going on the KS board. I felt like something was lacking this year.:laugh:

Seriously though, this made me a little nervous.

http://www.themercury.com/news/article.aspx?articleId=1c463f6d7c8b48ce8a5862a9e5cec20d

I live about a mile from Fairmont park and I've been walking my dogs daily to get us all in better shape before November. In fact I was on my way to that park when a friend said, "You might want to read today's paper first..." Guess I will stick to the WIHAs, where coyotes have a healthier respect for men and dogs.;) Technically, it IS woodcock season and everybody knows they are tough to bring down with anything less than turkey loads...:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I'm glad we got another mountain lion thread going on the KS board. I felt like something was lacking this year.:laugh:

Seriously though, this made me a little nervous.

http://www.themercury.com/news/article.aspx?articleId=1c463f6d7c8b48ce8a5862a9e5cec20d

I live about a mile from Fairmont park and I've been walking my dogs daily to get us all in better shape before November. In fact I was on my way to that park when a friend said, "You might want to read today's paper first..." Guess I will stick to the WIHAs, where coyotes have a healthier respect for men and dogs.;) Technically, it IS woodcock season and everybody knows they are tough to bring down with anything less than turkey loads...:thumbsup:

I used to run mine at Northeast Park. Once, I had a dog off leash on the "birding trail" over there, dragging a checkcord. I heard the coyotes going off, and then could hear a coyote on one side of me in the trees and another one on the other side. judging from the reactions of the dog, I could tell we were being watched... Another time, I watched a coyote run across me and the dog across a field.

I see them on the place I run dogs often enough, but they have plenty of fear of man in them. Might have to make sure that they have more then enough of that fear in them.

I saw a group of cougars right here in OP last weekend....They were sitting around the bar sipping cosmos.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.:)

I've had a couple close encounters with coyotes here at the house, but never when the dogs were outside. I am always shocked by just how silent they can be, and how fast they can cover ground and make it look effortless. They just seem to appear out of nowhere and then disappear into the woods without ever making a sound. We only ever hear them when they are howling to each other.

Isn't it about time for somebody to start a rattlesnake thread?

Back