Motels in western ND

steele

How far west can a person go in ND before the motels are filled up do to the immigration of workers? Thinking about a trip to ND.

Not far, would begin calling as soon as know dates. Bismarck is not a problem most times, but west of river starts getting tough.

I tried to book at my usual spot in Williston and they were full up. No openings. I think if you find an opening near where you want jump on it.....

Dickinson is a possibility, lots of lodging there. Lots of Oil people to.:(
Best Western and Quality Inn are last to fill up. NO smoking NO pets is why.:confused:

In the NW corner of ND every where that someone can stay is filled. Campground, motel, spare room.

We take a camper and stay out in the federal lands. Not too bad.

In the NW corner of ND every where that someone can stay is filled. Campground, motel, spare room.

We take a camper and stay out in the federal lands. Not too bad.

Yup! that's the way to do it.:thumbsup:

The National Grasslands in Western North Dakota. A big chunk!:)

There is also BLM lands and Maps available.

State lands maybe?

I wonder if Wayne meant state lands? Many of the state WMAs in ND allow camping with some regulations. I've spent a night or two on them in a tent. Good places to camp; never any crowds. List of WMAs and regulations for ND:

http://gf.nd.gov/gnf/maps/hunting/plots-maps/wmas.pdf

I don't know if national wildlife refuges allow camping or not. Something to look into maybe? When I can't afford a motel I hunt where I can camp for free on BLM land, National Forests, or National Grasslands. We all own them, paid for with our taxes might as well use them. The view is usually pretty nice too.

<Edited to add:> Nevermind....lol. He's on it. : )

Last edited:
Spent many nights camping at Indian Creek south of Regent. Has wind blocks and over head shelters. Just have to get up and start walking.

Teddy Roosevelt National Park, has camping in designated areas, you'll have to go on the outside though, no hunting in the Park.
I've camped a lot on the State Wildlife Management areas. The larger ones often have fire pits shelters and toilets. I don't think there is overnight use on the Federal WMA's

There are a few million acres of National Grasslands In Western North Dakota. Perty Much N,S,E and West of the Teddy Roosevelt. All public land and camp where you like. The Law is "motor vehicles on established roads only". Lots of side trails you can drive on. I think you can camp 50, maybe 100 yards off a established trail on Federal Lands. "pack it in, pack it out is the Law".

There is the Buffalo Gap National Grasslands Campground just West of the River a couple miles and just off the interstate. VERY NICE! Has facilities if you don't go for the remote stuff.

The National Grasslands in ND are some very nice country. Lots of true native grasses and plants. I highly recommend a visit. Good hunting too.:thumbsup:

we booked a hotel in dickenson months ago for opener, but decided to camp instead. Only $33 per night vs over $170 per night. Granted we have to pull the camper out, but we are saving over $700 on lodging! that will make up for our gas expense difference in a big hurry.

Came through Watford City on the way home from MT.
A place advertised rooms available "one night or a year" Vacancy.
In the middle of the "Oil Patch" :eek:
Watford City 3 years ago was a quite little cow town. Now things are NUTZ!!!!

This place with the Vacancy, (Watford Hills) covered a hillside of about a sq mile. Rows and rows of prefabs. I'm mean there were probably a thousand or more.
The more shocking thing:( this was not the only complex:confused: like this there are dozens.

Watford City area was by the way, One of the best bird hunting areas anywhere! before the oil and gas.

This oil boom, kind of like the gold rush of the 1800's?

I'd probably be very careful with my guns and gear out there if hunting. I'm sure law enforcement is miles and miles away and the ones who are thiefs probably know this as well.

Back