More pheasants than ever before!!

I'll buy FOUR South Dakota licenses (over $500) this year! Lots of crying about South Dakota.

+1 for North Dakota and drive past all the released pheasants to get there ;)
You want to talk spendy, I know of a guy who went stone sheep hunting in the Yukon! That takes some bank! šŸ¤‘

You want to talk spendy, I know of a guy who went stone sheep hunting in the Yukon! That takes some bank! šŸ¤‘
My buddy and his hunting partner were in a cabin when the 1 guys wife called. He put her on speakerphone.

Hey honey how are you? Hope everything is OK?

You lying sob I looked on the lodges website and these sheep hunts start at 10 grand. WTF you said the whole trip was less then 2000.

Well I don't know where your info came from but look at the check I wrote to John for the trip.

You sobs are in this together I know you are. John what the hell are you going to lie to me too?

No ma'am your hubby gave me a check for 1985.00 for the trip.

Sh%$ I don't know what to believe. Well everything is okay here. Have a safe hunt. Bye love you both

Last edited:
Iā€™ll butcher this, but here goes: guy tells his wife heā€™s got a business tripā€¦it goes longer than she expected, she calls him to find out wtf is going onā€¦her husband blurts out that he met a sales rep from another region, they hit it off and rented a little cabin in the foothills for a few daysā€¦ā€amazing sex, true soul mates, finish each others sentences, etcā€¦ā€ā€¦wife said, you bastard, you went sheep hunting, didnā€™t you?!ā€ šŸ¤£

I wasn't complaining. The SD license fee is about the same as going to a crappy movie each day. Less if you buy popcorn, a drink & Good N' Plentys ;)

Sheep hunts keep going up. My friend shot a Stone in 1982 for $6k. Next year Stone hunts will be $85-100k+. I got a much reduced cancellation opportunity for mine so picked it up for much less on the short notice back end. Only live once. I try to make the best of it.

I love bird hunting so I'm going pheasant hunting in SD!

I remind my wife at least a dozen times a year how godd@#$ blessed she is to have a husband who doesn't archery hunt, doesn't decoy waterfowl, doesn't hunt out of state, would never waste time or money to shoot a bunch of zoo animals in Africa, etc. So for the die hard pheasant hunters like myself, never hesitate to remind your significant other how absolutely blessed she is to have a man like you in her life.šŸŽ¤šŸ’¦

Last edited:
I remind my wife at least a dozen times a year how godd@#$ blessed she is to have a husband who doesn't archery hunt, doesn't decoy waterfowl, doesn't hunt out of state, would never waste time or money to shoot a bunch of zoo animals in Africa, etc. So for the die hard pheasant hunters like myself, never hesitate to remind your significant other how absolutely blessed she is to have a man like you in her life.šŸŽ¤šŸ’§
Well put. do shay They need to understand those things, along with the notion that free pheasant is the benefit of all that pheasant hunting.

lol Everything you guys write in this forum will be discovery in your divorce!!!!! Just was excited to see some birds this morning. Its really foggy this morning and took some gravel to work. I saw 5 broods on the road in a 10 mile stretch. I am sure I missed some in the hay ground and pasture that was adjacent to the road but seeing that many was encouraging.

I remind my wife at least a dozen times a year how godd@#$ blessed she is to have a husband who doesn't archery hunt, doesn't decoy waterfowl, doesn't hunt out of state, would never waste time or money to shoot a bunch of zoo animals in Africa, etc. So for the die hard pheasant hunters like myself, never hesitate to remind your significant other how absolutely blessed she is to have a man like you in her life.šŸŽ¤šŸ’§

You guys are lucky living close to decent bird hunting. I used to be a couple hrs away myself. In the 80ā€™s early 90ā€™s I could be in decent numbers in Southern Iowa / northern Missouri. When the numbers dropped severely I started coming to South Dakota. At best itā€™s 7 -8 hours. Used to make 3-4 trips a year. My wife has always been fairly understanding and supportive. I havenā€™t duck hunted in years and donā€™t have much interest in big game. Pheasant hunting got in my blood when I was little, and nothing else has really been able to supplant it

lol Everything you guys write in this forum will be discovery in your divorce!!!!!
After the second year in a row of me going pheasant hunting with a contractor buddy of mine from work on my wedding anniversary (Kansas one year, SD the next), wife said "I don't f'ing care where you go next year on our anniversary".

Turns out, that was a lie, because evidently she didn't want me going back to SD for more pheasants with him. But man, did we ever kill a lot of birds.

Our trip got moved up 2 weeks this year, so that should put me in good graces....

My wife knew she was in to it when we got married. I was really into duck hunting when we met, and many weekends were spent chasing ducks. On our first anniversary I told her I needed to stop by Walmart after we had gone to dinner to pick up some oil or something. She was picking up a couple things then headed over towards Automotive ( which unfortunately is always around the sporting goods counter) when she noticed me at the counter getting a hunting license. I was mainly a Kansas hunter but had an opportunity to hunt a private marsh in Clinton I couldnā€™t pass up. She looked at me puzzled and asked why I was doing that now?? I told her after our anniversary shenanigans were over I was getting up at 3am to go duck hunting. Needless to say that was a cold shoulder type of evening, but at least the duck hunting was good.

After the second year in a row of me going pheasant hunting with a contractor buddy of mine from work on my wedding anniversary (Kansas one year, SD the next), wife said "I don't f'ing care where you go next year on our anniversary".

Turns out, that was a lie, because evidently she didn't want me going back to SD for more pheasants with him. But man, did we ever kill a lot of birds.

Our trip got moved up 2 weeks this year, so that should put me in good graces....
Those words are always a 100% trap which you probably already knew... So kudos for going anyways!

This year was my 31st wedding anniversary. It was just last week and we spent another one apart. If I had kept tract, I would guess we may only half celebrated about half together. For the first few years, i was traveling back to PA for a whitefly hatch or a green drake hatch on famed creek or stream. Then I started hunting opening day of deer in the low part of SC which was also our anniversary, August 15th. After that, the wife started taking the girls to NY to her mothers for end of summer trip without me. And now for the last two years she has been in NY with her hospice bound mother. Luckily she is not one to get upset about missed anniversaries, presents, or cards. God knows it's a great thing because I'm not one for buying gifts or cards. Besides... it's the thought that counts and I always tell her I thought about getting her a gift or card and then the thought went away!..

Not sure that this is indicative of anything one way or the other for the pheasant hatch, but I did see a large covey of Huns yesterday in the far east central part of the state. Iā€™ve only ever seen one or two other coveys in the state, so that was cool.

Then, a quarter mile down the road, a good sized brood of pheasants with 3/4 grown chicks.šŸ˜€

Back