Mobridge or Kennebec/Presho--Opinions?

hwbowles

Three of us are heading out around the last of October with an experienced lab and a new brit. Looking to hunt public lands and ditches. We have stayed up at Bristol east of Aberdeen past two yrs, like the area with all its WIAs etc but need to find a little higher bird count, especially this year. Opinions on Mobridge area vs west of Chamberlain? Any chance snakes would be in play that late? Thanks!.......North Carolina Hunter

If you're looking to hunt public and ditches, then I would not head to Kennebec/Presho area as that area is limited in the number of public areas and the ones that are available are hit very hard early in the season. I'd try the Mobridge area if I wanted to venture out without having to pay an access fee.

I have hunted south of Mobridge for many years now and there always a ton of birds even with numbers down this year bagging your limit should be easy with a little work.

If you feel like going a little farther around the Isabel, SD area (45min West of Mobridge) there is more public ground than you could walk in a week. The motel there caters to hunters and there is not a lot of pressure. I go up every year on a UGUIDE property by there and lots of birds. Plus prairie dog and grouse.

if you decide on the Gettsyburg area there are a few spots to stay. If you are looking for rustic there is Trails Motel in Gettsyburg or there are a couple others Sage Motel, Gettsyburg Inn, and if you want a view by the river Bob's Resort. If you are looking for a great steak in the area there is no better then Bob's Resort

Gettysburg Lodging

Great, thanks for the information. We may bounce around between Mobridge Isabel and Gettysburg just to see what each area offers. Can't wait. ---hwb

This may be a stupid question but do you need to buy a license from the reservation to hunt the Isabel area? Or if you have a SD license and stick to the walk-in area's and public lands your fine? IS there any camp sites out that way? or is it cool to just camp about anywhere you want out there?

thanks

You just need the state license for the walk on hunting areas. Don't know about the camping options. The paper is called the "Isabel Dakotan". You might give them a call to find out.

+1 on the steaks at Bob's on the river. However, unless you are a BIG EATER, you only need the steak sandwich.

Back