mitchell south dakota contest

my buddy got a letter in the mail about the contest that the cabelas in mitchell puts on oct 13 through the 16 i think, to all you sd residents what is it like when that is going on i bet it is like an army around the 60 mile radious?

they have run the million dollar pheasant contest for some time now. i don't think it really attracts that many more hunters, alot of the opening weekend guys are execs who can't find the safety on their gun, let alone hit a bull in the ass with a banjo! :)

I work for Cabela's in Indiana.......We sure do market the hell of that promotion. I think you're right that nobody has ever claimed the million

They have been doing it for years. There is a army of hunters in the store. They make special check-outs/lines in the back of the store just for all the hunters to get their licenses. Alot of people..........

It's probably been released on private posted land that won't allow anybody on it..wait...that's all of South Dakota..:laugh::laugh::laugh::nutz:

I know 3-4 parties that have shot the tagged birds over the years and wone up to $250 in merchandise. If you get the properly tagged bird you only qualify to win the $1,000,000.00. I do not even know what the rest of the process is.
I go over there on the day before a lot and take a puppy or two along if I have some. I will this year. I grew up in Mitchell and the atmosphere is electric at this time. Don't ask me why--anticipation mostly but it works. I usually see a few folks I know also. It's a fun time--gotta be there or in some small town in the pheasant belt.

I know 3-4 parties that have shot the tagged birds over the years and wone up to $250 in merchandise. If you get the properly tagged bird you only qualify to win the $1,000,000.00. I do not even know what the rest of the process is.
I go over there on the day before a lot and take a puppy or two along if I have some. I will this year. I grew up in Mitchell and the atmosphere is electric at this time. Don't ask me why--anticipation mostly but it works. I usually see a few folks I know also. It's a fun time--gotta be there or in some small town in the pheasant belt.

I totally understand, It's like the firearms deer opener here in northern Minnesota. Use to be fun when I was of the age to raise a little hell..LOL

the brochure says it releases birds on private ,public in a 60 mile radious of that cabelas store i bet people are camped out on the public the night before?

Couple years ago, my brother in law shot a tagged bird off of his land. Although it was something through Jim Beam, I believe??? I believe he got a hat and some other small items out of the deal.

the brochure says it releases birds on private ,public in a 60 mile radious of that cabelas store i bet people are camped out on the public the night before?

They were camped out on the pubbies long before Cabela's started the contest. I think I saw where City of Aberdeen doing the same thing.

i have seen guys camped out on SD public land 2-3 days before season, it is ridiculous.....let the crowds go home and go in middle of November up until snow gets deep.

Its really not that bad. Our farm is within the radious. The neighbor has shot a banded and won a gun or something. It was a real longshot to get the million, a lot of things had to happen, I don't think anyone ever got it. They are not offering the mil this years times are tuff all over. The prize is 22k in total prizes this year. Top prize is a trip to argentina. I always used to duck in sign up and get out. I could do that in 10 minutes. It creates a little buzz for the store and the locals. Remember the only other thing they have is the corn palace. It is kind of cool to go to the airport and checkout all the private jets. Those guys just shoot pen raised birds so no harm done.

I got the same mailer and from what I read they are no longer doing the million dollar bird?? much smaller grand prize this year, like a new benelli or something like that.

Back