Minnesota opener

gcoach

Heading out tomorrow for the Minnesota opener. I know they say the bird numbers are down and there is still tons of standing corn but I'll be out there with my son and the dogs just loving it!!!

Last edited:
Had my limit by 1:30 in the afternoon.

Not many birds to be found and we had to work darn hard to get them. The bird numbers in the St James area are going to be quite low this year IMO compared to what we have had over the past several seasons. Quality dogs are almost a necessity.:D
pheasant0012.jpg

Last edited:
We had a small group and hunted for 3 hours this morning on public land West of St. Cloud. We saw 4 hens and 2 roosters, only one of which was in range.

TONS of corn still out in the fields. Hopefully hunting will be better in a couple weeks, just in time for the general public to go into hibernation for the winter :)

DennyJ, I'm originally from St. James and hope to get down there next weekend. Sounds like it'll be tougher than usual.
attachment.php

Three of us got two and saw 3 roosters from 9 till 12 2 inches of snow and no dogs.SW Minnesota

Out of politeness you guys should stop posting about your pheasant hunts until all of us have had a chance to go. SD is a week out and IA is a couple yet. Can't we all show some civility.

Thanks for sharing your stories and pics!! I can't wait for season to start...can't seem to think or talk about anything else right now. Now I know how the kids feel on a long drive..."Are we there yet?" Anybody wanna talk about pheasant hunting? Those that work with me must think I'm a broken record! Are we there yet? Anybody wanna talk about pheasant hunting? Productivity, P&L, Safety, Yeilds, BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!! Anybody wanna talk about pheasant hunting?!!!!

3 of us shot 4 on public land in 3.5 hours of hunting west-central Minnesota and then the fuel pump went out on my truck. :mad: The light cover I hunted last two openers was snowed in pretty well and the birds were concentrated. Seemed like we were always walking in water and there were fields under water which makes a fellow wonder when the crop will ever come out? Baby #2 is due in about 4 weeks so maybe there will be some birds left for me once "paternity" hunting break is over.

Denny, are you getting rebuilt?

Noticed quite a lot of woodcock where we were hunting and am assuming they moved south with the weather. Also heard the unmistakable sound of snow geese over my south-central Minnesota town Sunday night. Fall, except for harvest, seems to be on fast forward in 2009.

Last edited:
Back