Mini report and a few observations/questions on cattails and roosting sites

I went back to the Marsh of No Return on Saturday. No birds in trees this time, at least not above the ground. It was around 12 degrees, windy and light snow. Right away I missed an easy one in the ditch by the road. He was flapping trying to get out of the cattails and I still whiffed hard. There were lots of birds in a small woodlot of young trees but the cover was too thin and they all flushed too soon. I got out on the ice and was walking a cattail edge when I sniffled and suddenly a rooster flushed just a cackling away, I swung around and got him with the first shell. A bonus bird. I exited the marsh near the bottom of a small hill. At the top of this hill is a peninsula of trees that the birds really love. I called the dog close, crouched over and made my way. When the first hen flushed I stood up and double timed it, and sure enough a whole flock bust loose from the treeline. I took a shot at a high rooster and he fell on the other side. As soon as it started it was all over. A faster shot could have maybe gotten two birds, but I kept my eye on one and we found him in the snow on the other side of the trees. I missed one more long shot on the walk back. I got two pheasants and for me that is a huge victory. I am hard headed and will continue to go until seasons close. Thanks for reading my report.

Attachments

• 20221218_005626.jpg
    20221218_005626.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 20221217_145927.jpg
    20221217_145927.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
Back