Miller Hunting Report

ksimons

Hunted Thurs the 19th through Sunday the 23rd

Thurs and Fri were pretty good. There weren't as many birds, but our take was about the same. If we were better shots, we could have come close to our limit. In previous years, with less guys we were able to get about the same number. With 9 guys, we were bagging about 12 birds a day. We say probably double that get up within shooting distance and 4-5 times as many roosters get up within sight.

Sat was nothing till 3pm. Then we jumped a bunch of roosters from a nearby field into a fence row. We walked 500 yards and got up 10-12 roosters. They got up one at a time and we blasted them. Our dog was in heaven.

Road hunting and walking narrow ditched and fence rows with picked corn or beans on either side seemed to be a sure way to at least see birds. We did see a lot of young roosters. In the end it made up more hesitant and resulted in less birds taken.

All-in-all it was a great hunt. Great guys, great weather and enough birds to have some fun.

Hi Kenny,

I assume most of your hunting was on your brother's farm, however, you also hunted elsewhere - i.e. ditches and fence-rows.

We're looking forward to the 11th!

Jon

Hey Kenney,

Was wondering if you have established a price/fee for your house in Miller? I have a friend that may be interested. Also, what is the fee to hunt the farm(s)

Thanks,

Jon

This is the first weekend I am renting it out. I wanted to see how it went. We agreed to $35 per guy per day with a min (guys and/or days). The wife wasn't please about it, so we said we would see how this week went. If all is well, then that would probably be the rate. But I am always open to negotiations depending on specifics.

Right now, we haven't got the furnace up and running, so guys are just using space heaters. We had them on for the first night and then never used them again during 2nd week of hunting. But as it gets colder that might be something I have to look into.

As for hunting. My brother David Simons charges $52 per day per guy and has about 7k acres. You have to make that arrangement with him though. He just has to make sure that he doesn't have too many hunters in a given time frame. Most of his guys that come and hunt have been coming for over a decade on the same weeks, so it should be easy to figure out a time.

Give me a call and we can talk it over more.
605-290-1202 (Kenney)

Hi Kenney,

Thanks for the message back and the info regarding fees...very reasonable and fair. The lack of heat could be a problem, however. And I'm sure temporary heat could get very expensive.

I passed your messagge on to a friend.

Jon

House rental...

Hi Kenney,

We've corresponded in the past. I passed your info on to a friend, but he decided to hunt the Oneida area...

Was wondering if your house was available? My nephew from Austin TX. arrives on Nov. 23, late in the afternoon. He is booked at the Super 8, but might be open to staying at your house for two nights.

Your thoughts...

Jon

Back