Mick's first bird of the season...

Kismet

UPH Guru
Mick is about 11 years old, and has been as patient as a saint while I spend vast amounts of time working with Tinker, the puppy.

Today we took a stroll along the crik after getting our annual permission from the land-owner. He'd planted soybeans this year and I was hesitant to disturb the beans, but he said it would be fine.

Lot of tall weeds and trash growing up along the bank, stuff that wasn't there in the years he'd pastured milk cows there. His asthma was crippling him in the dusty barn, so he went to cash crops and seems to have regained most of his health.

I took the single shot 12 Winchester 370 and steel 4s, not expecting to see much in the first part of the season.

This woody hen popped up and Mick brought her back. Further down, some mallards jumped far ahead of us (disturbed by us pushing through the junk growth,) but it was nice to see Mick working the water and not being bedeviled by Tinker.

A good day.

Last edited:
Good job Mick and you to out there with the single shot.

Seems to be decent numbers of wood ducks around here and I enjoy jump shooting them almost as much as hunting pheasants.

Good boy Mick! :thumbsup:

Good looking dog you have there kis;)

Nick

Back