Michigan to South Dakota

BirdmanMI

A question for all those northern Michigan hunters that travel to South Dakota. We hunt in the south central area of SD and when we travel out we go through the UP of Michigan, then down to Lacrosse and take 90 out. Is it quicker to go through the twin cities? We have been doing this for 7 years now and have always wondered about the route we take. Thanks, John

What part of Michigan do you live? And where in SD do you hunt?

I live in Minneapolis: traveling to central SD - we take Hwy 7, bypass Watertown en route to Miller.

Traveling to Southern SD: we take a diagonal route to I90 (Fairmont) and west to SD.

I suppose you could take I94 to Minneapolis and I35 south to I90; or go the southern route around Chicago et al.

Not sure going through Mpls. has any advantage. Depending in the time of day, it can be a mess!

Would assume connecting with any interstate makes for faster travel...

I went to MapQuest.com and put in a starting Point of Mackinac Island with an end point of Mitchell, SD. The recommended route takes you across the UP, then down through Green Bay, Appleton, WI and to Oshkosh, WI. Then east on Route 21 and connecting with I90 at Tomah, WI. Then I90 the rest of the way out. Just over 800 miles.

We've taken two different routes from Western UP (Escanaba area) - Green Bay to MSP via HWY 29 and Oshkosh to Tomah via 21. I've always felt it is slightly faster to travel through MSP, but I would say the difference is more on the order of 20 minutes than a vast savings in overall travel time.

HWY 29 from Green Bay to MSP clips along a little better than the route from Oshkosh to Tomah. The variable part of that drive is going around MSP. Midday is no problem, but it can get backed up in the morning/evenings.

We've taken two different routes from Western UP (Escanaba area) - Green Bay to MSP via HWY 29 and Oshkosh to Tomah via 21. I've always felt it is slightly faster to travel through MSP, but I would say the difference is more on the order of 20 minutes than a vast savings in overall travel time.

HWY 29 from Green Bay to MSP clips along a little better than the route from Oshkosh to Tomah. The variable part of that drive is going around MSP. Midday is no problem, but it can get backed up in the morning/evenings.

MapQuest also gave the route through MSP but I think it was a little further miles wish and almost and hour longer. Picking up I90 at Tomah gives you a lot more time on the interstate. Good luck.

Thanks to all that posted a reply. I think we will stick with our usual route through Green Bay, Oshkosh, and over to Lacrosse on 21 I believe. We will be hitting the road Friday and I will give a report next week. Looks like we will be in some warm and dry conditions that will make things tough. Much better than work though!!

Birdman,

Let me know how your travels go I will be heading out next Wednesday headed to redfiled. Will be traveling thru UP to Green Bay west to Watertown. My starting point is just south of you. Best of luck on your trip.

Let me know how your travels go I will be heading out next Wednesday headed to redfiled. Will be traveling thru UP to Green Bay west to Watertown. My starting point is just south of you. Best of luck on your trip.

If traveling from the UP to Redfield, SD as you are coming down towards Green Bay I would take Hwy 22 over to Hwy 29. Then west on 29 to I94. Take I94 through the Twin Cities and on the west side of the Cities go south a little ways on 494 to Hwy 7. Take Hwy 7 west to Montevideo and pick up Hwy 212 and continue on to Redfield. Hwy 7 out of the metro area is much better than 212 as you don't have all the small towns to go through. Safe travels!

Hmmm...I94 through Minneapolis can be extremely slow. If you arrive in the evening, smooth sailing - other times, not good.

I do agree with the Hwy 7 route vs 212. I avoid Watertown when heading west and take highways south of 212 across S. Dakota, much faster and no traffic.

Hmmm...I94 through Minneapolis can be extremely slow. If you arrive in the evening, smooth sailing - other times, not good.

I do agree with the Hwy 7 route vs 212. I avoid Watertown when heading west and take highways south of 212 across S. Dakota, much faster and no traffic.

Come on Jon. Watertown isn't that big that you need to avoid it. Besides, if you come through Watertown you can stop and have a cup of coffee with me. :thumbsup:

A few weeks ago I went through the Twin Cities on 94 about mid-day and it wasn't that bad. Traffic for sure but we moved right along. Just avoid the morning and evening rush hours.

Poor jonnyB lives on the west side of the cities where traffic is always bad. ;) The east side definitely has its ebbs and flows. If you come from the east and go from 94 to 494 to 212, make sure it's before 7 am, 12-2 pm, or after 8 pm. The whole 494/35W interchange is a royal pain. :rolleyes:

Come on Jon. Watertown isn't that big that you need to avoid it. Besides, if you come through Watertown you can stop and have a cup of coffee with me. :thumbsup:

A few weeks ago I went through the Twin Cities on 94 about mid-day and it wasn't that bad. Traffic for sure but we moved right along. Just avoid the morning and evening rush hours.

May take you up on the cup of coffee even though I don't drink it, like meeting fellow britt owners. I like going thru Watertown always visit the redlin museum.

Also thanks for route directions.

Last edited:
Try This One

I have made the trip from near Sault Ste. Marie Michigan to Redfield many times. Here's the route I like.

M28 West to US 2

US 2 through Wisconsin

Pick up I 35 South at Duluth

Change to 23 West at Hinckley, MN

Exit to Minn 7 West at Clara City

Change to 212 at Montevideo

212 to Redfield

You are there!

MG :D

Back