Managing Predators

bradleyj

Hi there,

So from what I am hearing, the name of the game is protecting your pheasants from Hawks, etc. Just wondering what people do to manage or mitigate this risk to their pheasants on their property?

Thanks,

The only way to minimize predation by raptors is to minimize perches near easy hunting grounds. As for mammals well, you could run a trap line or see if there's a local trapper who would be interested in setting up on your property.

Raptors are there because of the prey, not because there's perches. Hawks do bird hunting on the wing, can't get up the speed needed from tree to ground to be much threat to pheasants. There is most always trees, bushes etc in good pheasant country. Heavy cover like trees and brush actually will provide canopy to give pheasants the advantage over hawks, even a perched hawk.
Not saying that a raptor won't spot ground prey from a perch, just will need to get air born high enough to to out speed a flying pheasant.
Mice and rodents, yeah, a hawk will do well from a perch.

The ground predators, trap those that are legal. Get to know a pro trapper and invite him to trap, add some $$ to the pot. :) Controlling predators is very import for wild pheasants and more important for released pheasants.

I have never worried about birds of prey, they are part of the balance. It is too hard to grow a tree in this part of the country for me to cut any down. If there is good habitat there will be pheasants. I use box traps and set them in culverts for skunks and coons. We have a predator district that takes care of a lot of coyotes by using an airplane which works well because of our lack of trees.

Predators and game birds have evolved together for thousands of years. They can make a difference in the population, but to manage them takes a significant undertaking. This is especially true of mobile species like raptors. The best defense there is to provide quality habitat, remove solo trees directly in the nesting and brood-rearing habitat, and manage the rodent population by not allowing significant thatch build up.

Nest predator management might as well be an enjoyable undertaking, so start yourself a trapline and keep them at a lower level. Other things you should be monitoring might include the use of deer feeders in the vicinity. Research has shown that these point-source food stations increase both the predator survival as well as increasing their fecundity. The last thing you need is a bunch of mesopredators with a higher reproductive potential. Replace feeders with food plots and crop the furbearers in as wide a zone as you can handle. You might start a little fur club to make it a social event or competition:) Try to trap neighboring property to minimize the ingress of new individuals from adjacent habitat into the void you create. You also could reduce denning sites if it is legal for you to do so.

What I did was attend a Iowa DNR meeting where we could speak about issues we would like changed for regulations.
I said I would like to see longer trapping seasons and I also proposed night spotlighting of varmints to be legal, as several states allow this & Iowa should.
It used to be Iowa farm kids would run a trap line for fun & money, today they just sit in the house playing with there thumbs on a Gameboy.
What also needs done is the restriction on Redtail Hawks need to be changed back to what it once was where farmers could shoot them, if I remember this changed in the mid 1970's, it should be restated. There is no shortage of Hawks & Owls and they are hurting all small game populations not just Pheasant's.

Last edited:
If the weather would cooperate, the bird population would rebound notwithstanding predation. As far as airborne predators, they are all protected. I think the worst I see in western Kansas are the owls. If they're around the quail seem to disappear.

This past season I watched a pheasant fly from cover to some milo stalks near a fence line. He did not see the hawk sitting on the fence post near where he landed. The hawk jumped him from the fence post, got hold of him, picked him up and started to fly but the pheasant immediately broke loose and flew away. Fascinating scene.

Last edited:
Back