Losing confidence in dog

Springer22

I know the season is coming to an end in a few weeks, but I have been feeling frustrated with my springer the past couple hunts. I know for a fact she is missing birds, and I am really starting to question her nose and ability. We do hunt a lot of pressured public land, which is tough, but I’ve been bumping more birds lately than she has been finding and flushing. Birds she should have found. And honestly have been to a game farm a few times and she struggled finding birds too, and that’s about as easy as it gets.

Don’t get me wrong, she finds birds and has shown flashes of real potential. She looks the part, can run all day, quarters nicely, can and will go through any cover. But I know we are leaving a lot on the table, and I’m really starting to lose confidence in her. I know she’s only a year, and this is her first season so maybe I am expecting to much, but I can’t help but to feel frustrated.

She has quirks and It’s been a long journey with her. I know real serious dog guys would have moved on a long time ago because there was some question of prey drive during bird and gun. But I stuck it out and we have came along way, but I’m just not sure if she has IT.

Maybe I’m just tired and am feeling emo! Ha

Last edited:
This is certainly a post with too much to unpack for any real help. First season dog are going to bump and miss birds, but that doesn't mean there can't be other problems going on too.

What is your own experience level with hunting birds? If it's your first bird dog then there's a good chance you have too much expectations.

Look at videos of dogs "blinking" birds. Is that what is going on? If the dog is blinking get help through a professional trainer or a local dog group. Perhaps ask your breeder?

If that honest answer is no then have the dog examined by a vet to ensure there isn't a physical problem.

I know the season is coming to an end in a few weeks, but I have been feeling frustrated with my springer the past couple hunts. I know for a fact she is missing birds, and I am really starting to question her nose and ability. We do hunt a lot of pressured public land, which is tough, but I’ve been bumping more birds lately than she has been finding and flushing. Birds she should have found. And honestly have been to a game farm a few times and she struggled finding birds too, and that’s about as easy as it gets.

Don’t get me wrong, she finds birds and has shown flashes of real potential. She looks the part, can run all day, quarters nicely, can and will go through any cover. But I know we are leaving a lot on the table, and I’m really starting to lose confidence in her. I know she’s only a year, and this is her first season so maybe I am expecting to much, but I can’t help but to feel frustrated.

She has quirks and It’s been a long journey with her. I know real serious dog guys would have moved on a long time ago because there was some question of prey drive during bird and gun. But I stuck it out and we have came along way, but I’m just not sure if she has IT.

Maybe I’m just tired and am feeling

Maybe I’m just tired and am feeling emo! Ha
If you are near central iowa there is a group of spaniel owners that used to train outside of Des Moines. If they are still together they should be able to help you out.

One of the guys is married to the woman that runs ESSFT web site. Her name is Holly Boggus. Last contact info I had was holly@essft.com and phone 515-205-3223 after 5pm.

No she’s not gun shy. She hears a shot and is looking like crazy for a bird
This is certainly a post with too much to unpack for any real help. First season dog are going to bump and miss birds, but that doesn't mean there can't be other problems going on too.

What is your own experience level with hunting birds? If it's your first bird dog then there's a good chance you have too much expectations.
Been pheasant hunting since I was a kid. Had springers growing up until I was about 20. Haven’t had a dog in ten years and this is my first that’s truly mine.

I probably do have to high of expectations.

I would just keep taking her as much as you can. At only a year old there's lots of time to improve. There are days hunting where it seems like I flush more birds than the dog. Other days I wouldn't see any flushes if the dog wasn't with. Sometimes a young dog on the field will hunt sometimes and just play around for a while. I think as time goes on, the dogs play less and hunt more. Just my thoughts as an amateur.

Last edited:
Only a year old...perhaps your expectations are too high. Tell us about her training - intro. to birds, prey drive etc.. I'm sure there's still a lot of puppy in her and she gets distracted and/or disinterested.

Talk to your trainer about what you are experiencing - they might have some good suggestions.

Good Luck!

My first piece of advise, with a one year old dog ending its first season.......patience.
You say she shows flashes, handles well, hunts hard, pushes cover, yet may miss a bird or two. Honestly, look at what is going right when things align and focus on replicating that through trainings in the off season. It is probably more of her not having confidence in her task and trusting her instincts than anything else.
Every dog has quirks......every dog misses birds......every dog does things that make us shake our heads and wonder, both good and bad thoughts.
I have a very seasoned lab, and yup he has missed birds that has left me scratching my head. He has also done amazing things that has left me scratching my head.
Anytime I hunt with him, especially when he was younger, I make sure to pay close attention.....you can learn alot about what a dog "gets" or doesn't. I would make mental notes or in some cases take a picture or quick video. Then if it needed to be trained, I would start with basic confidence building drills, then work up to what I wanted to correct or train, building blocks. Now, at his age and experience, there is very little for him to know or be trained on.....but every so often he acts like a 4 month old and we have a short refresher. It's ok.
A dog's instinct is for survival, it's on us training them to channel that instinct into our expectations.
Missing birds, in my experience, has been from my dog being too dang excited and amped up or in his youth, just not connecting the dots yet so to speak. Each dog learns differently too, just like humans.
Be patient.

My first piece of advise, with a one year old dog ending its first season.......patience.
You say she shows flashes, handles well, hunts hard, pushes cover, yet may miss a bird or two. Honestly, look at what is going right when things align and focus on replicating that through trainings in the off season. It is probably more of her not having confidence in her task and trusting her instincts than anything else.
Every dog has quirks......every dog misses birds......every dog does things that make us shake our heads and wonder, both good and bad thoughts.
I have a very seasoned lab, and yup he has missed birds that has left me scratching my head. He has also done amazing things that has left me scratching my head.
Anytime I hunt with him, especially when he was younger, I make sure to pay close attention.....you can learn alot about what a dog "gets" or doesn't. I would make mental notes or in some cases take a picture or quick video. Then if it needed to be trained, I would start with basic confidence building drills, then work up to what I wanted to correct or train, building blocks. Now, at his age and experience, there is very little for him to know or be trained on.....but every so often he acts like a 4 month old and we have a short refresher. It's ok.
A dog's instinct is for survival, it's on us training them to channel that instinct into our expectations.
Missing birds, in my experience, has been from my dog being too dang excited and amped up or in his youth, just not connecting the dots yet so to speak. Each dog learns differently too, just like humans.
Be patient.
Appreciate it. Lots of good advice. She is a bit of a weird dog, she’s soft, and I think the part about lack of confidence in her task is very spot on. I know She loves to hunt.. but I’ve had to really nurture that prey drive.. that she is a predator. Think I’m just gonna take a step back and do a few different things with birds, and a couple trips to the game farm while the weather is still reasonable.

Few people can or will do it but sometimes dogs can be rehomed to a family that hunts less than you want to and start over. As a one year old you may be asking a lot but in my expierience a soft dog will always be soft. Tough call and I feel for you but your looking at another 12 years with this pup.

i bet she's better next year and better the year after that. i'd ignore it, keep hunting. and strengthen the bond u have with her. dogs love to please their masters that they have learned to love.

Last edited:
Appreciate it. Lots of good advice. She is a bit of a weird dog, she’s soft, and I think the part about lack of confidence in her task is very spot on. I know She loves to hunt.. but I’ve had to really nurture that prey drive.. that she is a predator. Think I’m just gonna take a step back and do a few different things with birds, and a couple trips to the game farm while the weather is still reasonable.
Training bird dogs is a lot like raising a child. Each one is different. The light doesn't always come on at a particular age or experience.
Some kids are mature at 10, some at 40(maybe). Sometimes the light just comes on later for some.

Take a big step back after the season and just ask, can I help this dog? Drive is a difficult issue, can’t be taught or changed to a huge degree. Confidence can be built with reps and experience. I hesitate to give any advice for a one year old dog, she should get better with age.

"Soft" simply means you have to adjust and change techniques.
My current lab, by some peoples opinions, is a "soft" dog.....all he does is aim to please in both the field and the home.
He has great drive, all business in the field, super high pain tolerance, and is stubborn as hell......but he responds much better to light control talk and zero need for any sort of hands on discipline. He would just sort of shut down with any stern voice correction. Talk to him in a normal tone and he does exactly what the command is.
It took me to understand him before I was able to get a productive response from him, from basic obedience to complex tasks such as blinds from a duck boat.
It also helps that a way to a lab's brain is through their stomachs! 😂😂😂😂😂😂

I would just keep taking her as much as you can. At only a year old there's lots of time to improve. There are days hunting where it seems like I flush more birds than the dog. Other days I wouldn't see any flushes of the dog wasn't with. Sometimes a young dog on the field will hunt sometimes and just play around for a while. I think as time goes on, the dogs play less and hunt more. Just my thoughts as an amateur.
Yeah, it's all about tif.Time in field. You have to hunt a lot. Dog will get good. My puppy is starting to look for bird.

You probably just got better advice than you could get from a professional. Don't give up. Pour it on. This 1st and 2nd years are crucial. Lots of TIF as Goose says. After season is a great time to train. If you don't have a gun in your hand, you'll be more focused on your dog. I've come to enjoy it about as much as season. No one around, fresh air, no pressure.. If she never gets any better and stays in gun range, get another one. You can make up for her missed birds with another nose on the ground!!

So I have been a lab guy for 35 years or so. From my first to my last they got progressively better. Part was I bought and could afford a better pup, part was I learned more about dogs, and part was I trained to my expectations. So a couple years ago I switched breeds to a pointer. Big learning curve. I grew up with pointers but hadn’t had one in 30 years. So I bought a great pup and spent some money on an intro class and took her hunting. First trip I was underwhelmed. I found myself constantly comparing her to some of the good labs I’ve owned. She was only 8 months old. By the end of the trip I was slightly encouraged. This year at 20 months she is on fire. I am seeing everything I want in a bird dog. Get your dog on birds, birds and birds. This is what makes dogs.

I can't offer much than what already has been stated here. If she is missing flare nares at a game farm, there isn't any easier bird to find that exists.

I would probably send her to a professional trainer to fix the problem before it gets worse.

Back