Looking Forward to Opening Day

Just wondering what parts of the state everyone will be hunting. 7 or 8 of us will be headed north west way out by the Colorado border, have a friend who farms 5k acres with good populations of birds can't wait. These next 3 and a half weeks will be painfull. Good Luck to all!!!

We'll be making one of our trips out to Mankato in Jewell county for opening day! There should be about 15-20 in our group it'll be a good time!

The next few weeks will be painful! I was thinking of taking a vacation to sleep away the days. The anticipation is killing me.

I'm having a hard time deciding where to start. I traditionally hunt Pawnee county, but opening day is an absolute mess there. WAY too many hunters for my liking. You have to share any WIHA CRP with 2, 3, or 4 other groups and I hate it. I really want to hunt up in NW this year, but it is too far to drive back to where I'm staying. If I can get the group to go for it, I want to spend Saturday in Lane county. We'll drive back to Pawnee county to hunt private land on Sunday. Too much time to think about it.......I'll probably change my mind a couple more times before the opener. Good thread....who else is going and roughly where do you intend to hunt?

I am going with a couple of guys out between Sylvan Grove and Lucas and staying in Ellsworth. We are going up to South Dakota this weekend for a four day hunt, and then the next weekend Missouri opens. My dogs are ready to get the hell out of the house and find some birds.

well I have only hunted Kansas once,for 3 days, three years ago, hunted around Kanapolis, didn't do very good, two of us, three dogs, found a few roosters, and 4 covies of quail, going this year, it looks by myself, two setters, right now i havent' decided yet where to go. got it narrowed down to Norton wa, glen elder lake area or wilson wa, hunt there in morning and drive to whia land after that, commng during the week nov 16-19.

I'll be hunting opening week (M-F) in either Stafford, Pawnee, Edwards, Barton..... Oh heck, maybe I'll try Rush this year.

Lefty

I'll be hunting opening week (M-F) in either Stafford, Pawnee, Edwards, Barton..... Oh heck, maybe I'll try Rush this year.

Lefty

Lefty,

Try Rush! It was great last year. However, like Pawnee county, it is a popular destination that gets absolutely pounded on the opener. We drove around during last year's opener and never saw a WIHA patch without a group (or multiple groups) of hunters in it. It probably wouldn't be bad if you're by yourself. There were birds everywhere....more than Pawnee county anyway.

I am going with a couple of guys out between Sylvan Grove and Lucas and staying in Ellsworth. We are going up to South Dakota this weekend for a four day hunt, and then the next weekend Missouri opens. My dogs are ready to get the hell out of the house and find some birds.
We usually stay in Ellsworth as well but we have been staying in Salina for the past few years. I hunt Rice, Ellsworth and the eatern edge of Barton counties. I'm sure that I'll be making a trip to new parts of Kansas this year if one of my buddies has anything to say about it.....Overall I think that we're going to have a good year. I have heard mixed reports, as always, about the hunting so we'll see. Good luck to everybody...:thumbsup:

4 of us will be heading out to Ulysses to hunt opening weekend. I got lucky and married a girl who's dad farms West of town. We've been hunting out there for the past 10 years. Last year it was down, but things look better for the upcoming year. The 4 of us are heading to South Dakota this weekend as well. I can't wait!!!

4 of us will be heading out to Ulysses to hunt opening weekend. I got lucky and married a girl who's dad farms West of town. We've been hunting out there for the past 10 years. Last year it was down, but things look better for the upcoming year. The 4 of us are heading to South Dakota this weekend as well. I can't wait!!!

Better take good care of that gal.:thumbsup:

My brother from Alaska should be here and he will probably want me to party at the big party in Hugoton the night before. I hunted the opener there with him last year, but when the sun came up and BJ the game warden was waiting to check all the licenses, I found there was 53 hunters in the hunting party. No thanks.

This year my oldest son from KC will be here, so we will probably scrounge around Ford County and see if we can find a bird or two. I know it will be tough.

I am in KCMO every four weeks or so seeing the kids and grandkids, should I hunt Missouri?

Lefty, I am sure I will be seeing you driving around. I will be in the same area same time. I will keep an eye out for Ark plates.

Kansas

I'll be in Greensburg opening day,

Called to check hotel reservations tonight.
They didn't have them (again - 3rd year in a row).

They room for us.

Can't wait to see how the town looks this year.

I'll be in Greensburg opening day,

Can't wait to see how the town looks this year.

First, please send me a pm after you return from Greensburg. My brother-in-law runs a deer hunting operation down there and he said I could use all of his land for pheasant hunting after deer season. I'd like to know how the #'s look this year, so I know if it would be worth the extra drive.

The town is starting to look like a town again. I was out there in late May and they're working hard to get their town back.

Taking off work Nov 18-22 and thinking of starting in osbourne county this year although we had a really good hunt in pawnee county last year. My mind is not really made up I guess. So many good places to choose from and like to try out new ones. I'm open to suggestions. Would be glad to meet up with any of you on the site during those dates. It will be myself, my lab, cousin and his two springers.

Yep, I think we have passed several times. Seen a black chevy with Arkansas plates coming and going the areas I hunt. I will be in a black 4door chevy truck with big old white TX plates.

Smizell, have we met before?

I will start in the SW and work to the north. I'll be driving a white Chevy Avalanche with plates from the "Lone Star State" so honk your horn and we can walk a few fields together. I did my usual scouting trip a couple weeks ago and some areas are looking pretty good.

Back