looking for info on quail emphasis areas in MO

if the ca dept charges 20 bucks for a tag we would have a covey or two on the emph. areas, the ca can talk all they want and brag about what they are doing but only we (bird hunters) know differant, the people in charge of upland birds should all be fired for what they have done. to me they only made the areas worse some you cannot even walk thru, areas that in december find several covies now only one or two in november. if these people were the manager of the cardinals they would have already been fired, we need tostart with new ca people if the upland birds are going to come back cause what we have now sure are not going to make it happen, they already have a excuse for next year

like previous stated why is there fescue on any ca area? that tells it all what they think about us

Create good habitat for quail and all wildlife does well. Create habitat for Deer and turkey and only deer and turkey do well. The MO. Conservation Department is all about deer and turkey. Finding 5 coveys a day before noon was common for me 10-12 years ago and today, I've got the best dogs I've ever had and work harder than ever to move 2-3 coveys a day. Sad, but true.

I live about within 50 miles of Troy, Wentzville areas. Hunt with 2 Brittanies, make it 1-2 times within MO on private land. Got into 3 coveys last week in 4 hrs. Go to KS for 2 trips a year - 5 days each. SE NE last year but my friend said horrible there this year after blizzard & a wet nesting period.
Have private land thru a good friend in No TX, but have not been there in 2 yrs. He said it is not worth the trip unless I want to shoot hogs.
Started quail hunting MO in the glory days of late 50s, didn't even need a dog unless one for hunting downed birds. Have seen the decline here, but it seemed around 2000 everything accelerated downhill at once & now never hear a bird around my home in the country. Sad.
Not going to give up yet, went on 2 grouse hunting trips to WI & MN this year for first time ever. Keep on plugging away!

It does seem like a waste to even go into any areas to hunt in Mo. At least the dogs get to stretch the legs as well as me. It is a sad day that we have to resort to going to Ks. to find birds. got to do what we got to do. It's about the dogs........

Back