Looking for Dakota Hunt

BritChaser

Would like to arrange along with some other hunters a few days of Dakota wild pheasant hunting on private ground for a daily gun fee. Not really interested in the all-inclusive hunt package thing or pen raised. I'm a senior hunter with good mobility and a dog. And I always have good bourbon for dust cutting after the guns are put away for the day. Looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

Last edited:
I think the first question to come up will be how much are you willing to spend? It could be tough to find a hunt on private land that wouldn't involve hunting in a group with other hunters. Good luck.

Would like to arrange two or three days of Dakota wild pheasant hunting on private ground for a daily gun fee. Not really interested in the all-inclusive hunt package thing or pen raised. I'm a senior hunter with decent mobility and a dog. Thanks.
How many hunters? If only 1-2 guns, save yourself the time & money, & just hunt public ground. It's the ultimate in flexibility. Almost any day of the season, 1-2 people who have a good idea how/when/where to find & hunt pheasants, with 1 decent dog, should be able to get shot opportunities at a limit on pubic land, & most times shouldn't have to hunt all day to do it. And fyi, since 1889, Dakota has had a north part called North Dakota & a south part called South Dakota. Does one interest you more than the other?

Last edited:
I think the first question to come up will be how much are you willing to spend? It could be tough to find a hunt on private land that wouldn't involve hunting in a group with other hunters. Good luck.

I'm looking to hunt with others, not a solo deal. Revised my post to so state.
How many hunters? If only 1-2 guns, save yourself the time & money, & just hunt public ground. It's the ultimate in flexibility. Almost any day of the season, 1-2 people who have a good idea how/when/where to find & hunt pheasants, with 1 decent dog, should be able to get shot opportunities at a limit on pubic land, & most times shouldn't have to hunt all day to do it. And fyi, since 1889, Dakota has had a north part called North Dakota & a south part called South Dakota. Does one interest you more than the other?

Either Dakota will do. Have hunted and like both. Heck, one time in SD a local made fun of the accent of a North Dakotan. Once in North Dakota a waitress made our stranger status by our accents which she said were from "down south; Kansas and below" as she put it. On the first and only visit to Oakes, my buddy and I cracked up when, easing down main looking for a place to cut the dust and eat, we came upon the Angry Beaver Inn. It was excellent. Good walleye and well-made martini. Hard to beat those Dakota memories.

Last edited:
If you are a Bourbon guy check out Black Fork Farm.

Will do and thank you. Always looking for good bourbon since the Weller distillery was bought for the name and shut down.

When in Dodge check out the Boot Hill Distillery

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-22 192848.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-22 192848.png
    802.4 KB · Views: 8
Thank you, sir! Hope to visit.

Thank you, sir! Hope to visit.
Howdy - I am new to this forum but wondered what you discovered with your original query. I am interested in something like this as well. I'm not necessarily looking for something like a package trip but a smaller type experience with a few others and a few dogs. Have a young fairly well trained Munster that is performing well but is still a fledgling at a little over year. Have seen lots of other large group experiences and have a few friends who have stayed at "resort" type places in the packaged line of experiences - but not really what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance!

Howdy - I am new to this forum but wondered what you discovered with your original query. I am interested in something like this as well. I'm not necessarily looking for something like a package trip but a smaller type experience with a few others and a few dogs. Have a young fairly well trained Munster that is performing well but is still a fledgling at a little over year. Have seen lots of other large group experiences and have a few friends who have stayed at "resort" type places in the packaged line of experiences - but not really what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance!

You're talking SD, right? One forum member provided some contacts but I have not followed up. Too early, but will start making some calls and emails later this month. If you're new here you may not have noticed the forum titled Hunting Group Builder, the seventh forum on the list. I think through that forum I got together some hunters about 12 years ago and we met up in SD two or three times. Good luck.

Last edited:
What time of the season ? Purple 16 has some December slots open and you may be able to hookup with some other hunters @ the house
thanks. not familiar with Purple 16. can't find n e thing on it on the internet.

Here is the thread. Bobby goes by Dukxdog her and Purple 16 on some other sites.

You're talking SD, right? One forum member provided some contacts but I have not followed up. Too early, but will start making some calls and emails later this month. If you're new here you may not have noticed the forum titled Hunting Group Builder, the seventh forum on the list. I think through that forum I got together some hunters about 12 years ago and we met up in SD two or three times. Good luck.
Too early???

Thanks for the reply. Yea...considering SD and maybe Nebraska but am just kicking the tires to see what might be possible. I'm ready to go now! looking into the first part of November. I'll keep searching around this section of the forums.

Back