Looking for a left hand Pheasant gun

I have four of the Ithaca 37s. Newer, Ohio made guns. You can buy a left hand safety from them or have them put a left hand safety in it if you wish. Good, solid guns. Watch Gunbroker or other auction sites. Sometimes a newer Ohio gun shows up on there. My go to pheasant gun is an Ithaca 37 16 gauge. I managed to get my hands on one of the last ones they had at the factory. I think they're only making it in 12, 20, & 28 now. The 28 is a great little quail hunting gun.

I'm left handed, for decades my go-to shotgun has been the Browning BPS 26". IMO the best left hand - friendly shotgun anyone has come up with yet. It's heavier than most autos (and it sounds like you only have eyes for an auto) but it is a bulletproof design every bit at home in the goose blind as it is walking roosters up out of the cattails. Off course I know the BPS extremely well and shorten the stocks on mine to fit my LOP, but I shoot it better than anything else I have in the safes. That tang safety is worth it's weight in gold...

I am not stuck to an auto. With all the shoulder surgeries I have had, I thought it might be a little easier on the shoulders. Especially a gas gun. I have already got the BPS in mind, I only wish it also came in a 28ga.
Since you have one and know them, maybe you can answer this. Is the 20ga built on a 20ga frame or adapted to a 12ga frame?
I shot a Ithaca 37 in 20 and 28 today and had a ball. The 28ga is a slim, sweet little gun. Safety was for the owner, a right hander, but as already stated, it can be turned around.

Dont know what catalog you are looking at, but just went to Benelli website, 20 ga 26 inch walnut $1129. And, I have had one in my hands. I went with the m2 20 lefty because my dogs really like to scratch my guns when Im not looking. Lol

Dont know what catalog you are looking at, but just went to Benelli website, 20 ga 26 inch walnut $1129. And, I have had one in my hands. I went with the m2 20 lefty because my dogs really like to scratch my guns when Im not looking. Lol

If you see it on the website can you give me the model number? I must be blind as a bat cause all I see is the 12. I found it in earlier catalogs but I sure don't see it now.

Anyone have any input on the CZ southpaw O/U in 12 or 20 ga. I would like to get my hands on one and shoot before making a purchase.

Anyone have any input on the CZ southpaw O/U in 12 or 20 ga. I would like to get my hands on one and shoot before making a purchase.

You really need to make an effort to try one first. Close friend of mine has one. Fits him fine and he is very consistent with it. It does not fit me that well and is not very comfortable for me.
I can and might be wrong but I think it was discontinued for 2019, or in 2019 for the 2020 production year. Good luck

CZ USA makes models that are cast for a left hand shooter. Look at the Drake, and Southpaw sterling if you can find one as those we discontinued this year. . If you have any questions just call us here at CZ-USA as we are happy to help.

Kick'em Up!

Pardon my ignorance. I have to ask this question. Does a right hand break action gun with a tang safety work for left handed shooters?

I understand that there are left hand break action guns. I do not understand why.

I stand corrected. No longer make it in 20. Sorry. But hey , they may not be pretty but the m2 in 20 is a death stick.

No big deal. Actually think we found one still in stock at a distributor. My only draw back to jumping on it is all the cutting from surgeries on my shoulder. My M2 with
2 3/4 stuff was a little more than I wanted. Kinda the reason I was looking in the gas gun lines. Think I will let them send it anyway, if it is there.
Where are you in Kentucky? I am leaving around midnight here, heading just east of Lexington to Grayson to see a man about a dog, then back across to Louisiana to chase some hogs. Probably be back towards Lexington mid morning.

Pardon my ignorance. I have to ask this question. Does a right hand break action gun with a tang safety work for left handed shooters?

I understand that there are left hand break action guns. I do not understand why.

Most break open guns are cast (slight bend in the stock) for right handed shooters. IF you google "shotgun cast" it give a in-depth explanation on how it works and affects how your gun fits you.

Most break open guns are cast (slight bend in the stock) for right handed shooters. IF you google "shotgun cast" it give a in-depth explanation on how it works and affects how your gun fits you.

I do quite a lot of gun fitting for kids on a high school clay target team. I am familiar with the concept of cast.

The Benelli 828u is available in a left hand option. The stock is straight. Cast for either right or left hand shooters is established via shims.

I guess my question becomes: Does the standard lever on a break action gun present an issue to a left handed shooter?

I guess my question becomes: Does the standard lever on a break action gun present an issue to a left handed shooter?

I bought my grandson, who is left handed, a Stevens 555E this past year and he has struggled opening the action. But he is new to shotgunning and I hope the more he uses it he will figure it out.

I once had a Savage 220 single shot in 16 ga. that the lever worked in either direction. Seems if the manufactures would install that feature on all O/U's it would help the lefties.

I am not stuck to an auto. With all the shoulder surgeries I have had, I thought it might be a little easier on the shoulders. Especially a gas gun. I have already got the BPS in mind, I only wish it also came in a 28ga.
Since you have one and know them, maybe you can answer this. Is the 20ga built on a 20ga frame or adapted to a 12ga frame?
I shot a Ithaca 37 in 20 and 28 today and had a ball. The 28ga is a slim, sweet little gun. Safety was for the owner, a right hander, but as already stated, it can be turned around.

I've owned a number of BPS's over the years, but never one in 20 gauge. Couldn't tell you if it's a smaller receiver or not....

I also use a Franchi Instinct L O/U 12 gauge for a lot of my rooster hunting. I shoot it well, if it has cast off for a RH shooter it doesn't affect me. Again, the tang safety is worth it's weight in gold...

Last edited:
I am also a lefty shooting a right handed auto,Im thinking of purchasing a Beretta A400 xplor anybody have any experience with one ?

Loved my A400 xplor its a great gun my brother loved it even more, and talked me into selling it to him been trying to buy it back ever since.

Back