Little help

Alaskan swamp collies

So my pheasant season ended a bit early when I stepped in a badger hole and my good knee looks like a soccer ball. However my travels will take me through AZ. Middle of December. So I know nothing about desert quail but would like to give it a shot. Give me the basics, at least enough so I can waste some shells.

Sorry to hear of your accident. The goldens are wishing for a fast recovery. I have done the same, toe to the shin flex, messes up a trip.
Better luck in Arizona.

Sorry to hear of your accident. The goldens are wishing for a fast recovery. I have done the same, toe to the shin flex, messes up a trip.
Better luck in Arizona.
The only good memory of the accident was that I got a double on roosters over my young dog about 15 minutes before I fell in the hole. She was working another one which I missed while half in the hole. Swelling is going down now, I even put my own shoes on today.

So my pheasant season ended a bit early when I stepped in a badger hole and my good knee looks like a soccer ball. However my travels will take me through AZ. Middle of December. So I know nothing about desert quail but would like to give it a shot. Give me the basics, at least enough so I can waste some shells.

Damn badger holes! I had my old knee worked on a year ago last July with an excellent result. First field of last season my second step was into a badger hole and a fall on to my wonderfully doctored knee. Been a problem ever since.

Arizona has both desert quail, which run like roosters! Let your dog sprint and break up the covey , Hustle up to hunt the dispersed singles . Retrievers can be decent for desert quail.
Mearns on the other hand generally hold extremely tight and retrievers kinda point em when they smell em. Steeper and more rugged country. Way more hunter pressure imo.
Weather is nice!

Well thats a bummer......almost been there a few times myself
I'v got a fair amount of time under my belt chasing desert quail and will share a bit, if you want to pm me a phone #...
Cheers...

I've hunted AZ a few times with some guys that live there and know the territory. First, if you have the dog with you, absolutely take the long heavy duty type needle nose pliers. The colla cactus is brutal. If your dog brushes up against, they are hooked. It's easy to deal with though if you have the right pliers. There is plenty of public land. We hunted state land everytime. There are maps online, but On X is great for that.

These birds run. If you walk 10 miles they'll run 11 ahead of you. Find a place with a wash, or deep gully. The locals call them arroyos. Push toward those and use those as blockers. The birds won't want to run down into them and will get up and fly. We did best when we had plenty of guys.
One flush we pushed up over 100 birds. We had 4 guys and walked about a 1/2 mile and I thought nothing was happen. The guys said just wait. I could tell we were heading toward a draw and when we got there the cloud of birds that got up was amazing. The guys told me we didn't have to have a plug in the gun with quail and there was a 15 bird limit. I now understand why. That is for desert quail like Gambels and Scaled. Mearns is a different story and I've never hunted them.

Also we weren't far from Phoenix. I could see a strip mall from where we were at. Later that week I was working in downtown Scottsdale. We saw birds running in and out of shrubs right in the middle of the city. I managed to snap a few shots of a Gambels in our hotel parking lot. If you are solo it might be tougher.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BQZQB75...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=IMG_1289.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1292.jpg
    IMG_1292.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 10
Thanks guys for all your help. I’m bumbling around but have found enough birds to empty the gun a few times. They do seem to run like roosters and the dogs are doing fine flushing singles. Not quite as exciting as pheasant hunting but nice weather and plenty of country to walk. Maybe it not as good as pheasant hunting in the Dakotas but at least I can do it with a gimpy knee. I also brought dog boots but they seem to be doing okay without.

Thanks guys for all your help. I’m bumbling around but have found enough birds to empty the gun a few times. They do seem to run like roosters and the dogs are doing fine flushing singles. Not quite as exciting as pheasant hunting but nice weather and plenty of country to walk. Maybe it not as good as pheasant hunting in the Dakotas but at least I can do it with a gimpy knee. I also brought dog boots but they seem to be doing okay without.
Have you found anything out about your knee or just tough it out?

Wish I would of seen this sooner. I lived down in Tucson for 6 years. It has been a decade since i lived down there so I do not know how the hatches have been and I won't mention super specific locations. I mostly hunted without dogs but did make it out with friends pointing dogs a few times.

As you are aware there are three types of quail in Arizona. I mostly hunted Gambel's but successfully harvested all three species.

Gambel's are the most widely distributed and the easiest to find. Generally you are going to find this species in the areas which are dominated by cactus though they do extend into the prairie edge habitat some. They are the best species if you are going to hunt without a dog (i.e. if you dog is recuperating and you are going out anyways). The singles hold a lot tighter than the coveys do. I actually hunted these a lot like I used to hunt big game. If possible get out at first light. This is when they are most vocally active and you can often locate coveys based on their calling. I also used to use a binoculars in order to scan the washes if I gained elevation. My preferred shot and choke was 1-1/8 oz lead #6 with a modified choke. Due to the sparse cover, shooting lanes can be long and recovery is often less complicated. I have killed quail at 50-60 yards with this combo. They call the Gambel's a true desert quail that does not need water. That said, I have found that they will drink from standing water and often orient to it. I suggest doing some e-scouting by looking at satellite imagery for cattle tanks. If there is a cattle tank in a prickly pear forest, I would generally find a covey of Gambel's within about 300 yards of it. Pick the cattle tanks out as your objective and then criss-cross the washes on your way to the tank. You will find quail well away from the tanks, but I always found the highest concentration in proximity to them. If you see a covey running on the ground that is to far for a shot, do everything you can to break the covey up. For me this often meant shooting my gun into the air/at nothing as a way to startle them.

Scaled quail I hunted the least. They are more of a prairie bird and are difficult without a dog, which I mostly did not have. That said if you want to target them head to the southeast part of the state. The Wilcox area will have a mix of Gambel's and scaled quail and heading east to the boarder with New Mexico you will in general start to get more scaled quail. To me it seemed like they would orient a little bit more to the cover in ravines but their location seemed a little random to me. My suggestion is to find the relatively low elevation prairie and set the dog loose.

Mearns quail were made for a pointing dog though you could certainly run a flusher. They hold really tight, they make bobwhite seem like runners. The first mearns that I killed I almost missed because as I was walking into a point I saw one sitting on a fallen tree with no cover and I tried to grab it. It hit my fingers with its wings when it took off.......

To target mearns you will have to head south. The closer to the Mexican boarder the better. They like to dust and eat the tubers of scrub oak. In general you are going to want to be higher in elevation than the scaled quail. The best hunting is in the hills if your knee can handle it. It is not as bad as chukar hunting but it is reminiscent of it.

Bring two things for your dogs getting into cactus, in particular cholla. A needle nose pliers to pull out of feet. To get then out of the fur the best thing in my opinion is a fine tooth metal comb. In general the dogs figure out how to deal with it and avoid cactus after the first day or two.

I am not going to post super specifics on the open internet, but if you are hunting the Tucson area, PM me for details on locations that were good 10 years ago.

Back