Lead shot ban (DFL introduced bills) opposed by MN State HS Clay Target League

There's more to this bill than just what was posted above.

It also targets a lead ban for hunting on public land and fishing tackle that is a specific size or smaller.

It does not specifically target the MN HS Clay Target League either. They are simply a by-product of entity if this were to pass just like hunters or anglers.

Been brought up multiple times in the past and didn't come close to passing. As it stands now, it has no chance of passing again.
With those currently working in St Paul, be careful when you say 'it has no chance'.

I think a lot of legislation whether it's the bill in discussion here or something totally unrelated, is written or brought up with fairly sweeping measures. I.E. let's ban ALL lead ammo and tackle. Laws like this will usually not be passed, but when they are proposed every year eventually some compromise is reached. Then another bill comes up that's even more restrictive and even if it falls flat it will be brought up again and again to tighten regulations. Sometimes it seems it's easier to push for change than to fight against that change. Once regulations are tightened they usually are never relaxed. Once lead is banned it's banned forever in my mind. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just the way I see things.

I can see a ban starting with state owned property with the theme that this falls inline with federal property. Not that I agree with this but they would play it that it benefits all wildlife and that hunters have adapted to these regulations for years on federal property.

I sincerely doubt that the portion of the bill banning lead shot for target shooting will make it out of committee.

I quit using nontoxic shot and bullets for my hunting several years ago.

It makes no sense to me to inject a known neurotoxin into the food when effective substitutes are readily available.
John, no need to quit the nontoxic shot & bullets if you feel strongly against them...no one wants to pressure you. Get using them again, I won't judge...or we can just keep shooting lead.

I heard something really interesting on this on the radio tonight. A guy called in from stearns county who has a tackle company. He has dabbled in making jigs and tackle from tungsten and bismuth. He said he now makes all his jigs in lead. A point he made was that if lead tackle was banned, making tungsten jigs would be cost prohibitive for him. Essentially it would move all his mfg., if he could find a way to make it work, to china. He also said that most all tungsten and bismuth come from China or Chinese held companies. I haven't looked into any of this myself, just thought I'd pass it along. Also interesting of note is that when making tungsten jigs, a problem that has popped up are brittle hooks that snap easily. Tungsten has to be heated to a very high temp. vs. lead, and it causes the hooks that have been used up to this point to become brittle and snap. Nothing like losing a whopper fish to a broken hook. I've been there before:mad::mad::mad:!

I stated before that I doubt that this bill will pass in its present form.

However, I do not doubt that lead, as a known neurotoxin, will be eliminated in many applications as effective substitutes become available. This may well happen in our lifetime. This has occurred many times in the not too distant past.

We have already observed the replacement of lead in household paints, plumbing, and automobile fuels, and waterfowl hunting.

I did not quit painting the interior rooms of my house, quit installing plumbing, quit drinking water, quit driving automobiles, or quit waterfowl hunting when lead was eliminated for those uses.

I have heard a number of guys that quit waterfowl hunting and used the lead ban as their reason. However, I suspect most of them just did not like waterfowl hunting and used the lead ban as their convenient excuse.

My question: Do any of you intend to quit hunting or fishing if (and likely, when) lead is replaced?

However, I do not doubt that lead, as a known neurotoxin, will be eliminated in many applications as effective substitutes become available. This may well happen in our lifetime. This has occurred many times in the not too distant past.

We have already observed the replacement of lead in household paints, plumbing, and automobile fuels, and waterfowl hunting.

I did not quit painting the interior rooms of my house, quit installing plumbing, quit drinking water, quit driving automobiles, or quit waterfowl hunting when lead was eliminated for those uses.

I have heard a number of guys that quit waterfowl hunting and used the lead ban as their reason. However, I suspect most of them just did not like waterfowl hunting and used the lead ban as their convenient excuse.

My question: Do any of you intend to quit hunting or fishing if (and likely, when) lead is replaced?
IM of the mind I will continue to use lead until I run out or they quit mining the stuff. Until that happens Im all in for lead

I cooked up a load of 7/8oz. buffered bismuth I'm shooting out of my turkey choke next year. Roosters watch out🔥.

No way a lead ban would make me stop hunting, out of the question. All I hope for are practical decisions made in the future to phase it out as replacement options become available in mass and at a reasonable price point. My fear is that the laws passed will force the change on a moments notice creating a s*** show. I’ve got a friend with two boys that shoot trap in high school and what he spends on lead shot for them to compete and practice will make your head spin. If they were somehow wrapped up in a lead ban its game over, take up a new hobby.

No way a lead ban would make me stop hunting, out of the question. All I hope for are practical decisions made in the future to phase it out as replacement options become available in mass and at a reasonable price point. My fear is that the laws passed will force the change on a moments notice creating a s*** show. I’ve got a friend with two boys that shoot trap in high school and what he spends on lead shot for them to compete and practice will make your head spin. If they were somehow wrapped up in a lead ban its game over, take up a new hobby.
That's how I feel too. I'm not against a changeover to something other than lead, but it needs to be done over time and clearly communicated. They can't just post a hard date and say "no more lead." That would not only create supply issues, but I have to imagine because of that, some people would just say screw it and continue to use their current supply of lead because there is nothing else left to buy.

The bill also mentioned has a buyback program. They better put a crap load of money into that fund because people have thousands invested into lead fishing tackle.

My understanding is that it would only apply on public land too; not private. So I'm not sure if lead-based ammo would be completely phased out.

Whole lot more questions than answers here.

Last edited:
Back