lead or steel

mnhaus

hey guys, anymore talk wheather or not mn is going to switch to notoxic shot? do you think we should?

Old thread.....
But I'll throw my .02 into it.... :D
Honestly.... for whatever reason I CANNOT shoot steel at roosters like I can waterfowl.... i think it's the difference with the birds flying into me as opposed to away.... but 9 out of 10 times if I'm slinging steel (on Wpa's or the clays...) i miss... (and my dog gets MAD) ....
But if i'm shooting Lead.... 9 out of 10... i drop the bird (or the clay :D)
So i'd have to say I hope I never see it happen...

I've hunted wild roosters plenty with steel on Fed WMA's.

Steel just doesn't work as well as lead. A rooster pheasant is a LOT harder to bring down then a duck.

There is no reason to ban lead in pheasant country. Wild pheasants aren't going to ingest it. Why would they? With abundant gravel and grit they simply won't seek out lead shot.

I think there is a lot of pot hole areas that hold Pheasants and it has never made sense to me why if I hunt Ducks on that area and have to use steel, why can I shoot roosters over the same water with lead. I find that steel makes me concentrate on the shot much more and my % of birds goes up even though I do not like steel. Bottom line if your dog is working the birds as it should they will flush close enough to allow either to put the bird in the bag!!

Back